CCI 22 mag

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

CCI 22 mag

Post by ChuckD »

Anyone tried knocking g down steel with this CCI A22?
35 grain bullet concerns me a bit. 22 mag can be tricky as it is as a PC round

Thanks
Chuck
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: CCI 22 mag

Post by Jerry G »

Don't look now but............... most shooters are shooting 22 ammo under 1100fps for a real good reason.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Jerry, I think he's referring to the pistol cartridge cowboy targets, not smallbore targets of either type.

Chuck, I haven't even seen of this ammo yet. It's 35 grains with a quoted muzzle velocity of 2100 fps with velocity of 1561fps at 100 yards. That's a pretty significant increase over the 100 yard velocity of most other 22 WMR ammo. I'm sure it will do just fine on everything other than rams. With such a lightweight bullet, I wouldn't expect it to do any noticeable amount better on rams than the heavier bullets that are going a bit slower. This load might have more kinetic energy since energy varies as the square of velocity. What knocks down steel targets is momentum and this load will still come up short of having enough momentum to be 99% reliable. If it's readily available, it will likely do as well as any other factory 22 WMR ammo out there, though. Here's a link to specs on the ammo for reference.

CCI A22 Magnum Gamepoint Ammunition
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Hi Jason,

yes it's PC I am shooting with the 22 mag.
Have had good luck, but 2 weeks ago my son learned what a "rung a ram" means, 4 times!
The 22 mag is tough to find, I have read of a 50 gr bullet, but yet to see any.........

thanks
chuck
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The only factory 50 grain 22 mag load that I know of currently being manufactured is the Federal Game-shock (part number 757). I haven't had good luck with accuracy out to PC rams with it in either of the rifles that I've tried it in. The heavy bullet just doesn't have enough velocity to stabilize well in the standard twists of most 22 mag rifle barrels. I and others have had better luck taking those loads and replacing the powder with different powder to get more velocity. The same has also been true with the Hornady 45 grain FTX 22 mag ammo, and that is what I'm currently using for PC rams out of my 22 mag rifle.

Given the price and scarcity of 22 mag ammo, if I were starting over getting into pistol cartridge cowboy silhouette I would start with a 357 instead of my 22 mag. I can reload 357 cheaper than I can buy 22 mag ammo. I'd be able to have all the ammo that I want. It would also be sure to take down the PC rams with any reasonable hits. I've won my share of matches and even a couple regionals using this 22 Mag, including shooting a few 39/40s (never perfect, though :roll:). I'd definitely trade it plus a fair amount of cash for a nice Marlin cowboy in 357, though. :)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

As soon a I talk about replacing my Marlin 57M in 22 mag, it shows me why I still have it. I shot a 39/40 in our pistol cartridge cowboy match today and the one turkey that got missed was due to the shooter, not the rifle or ammo. One brain fart away from a perfect score... again. I have more 39s with that rifle than my others combined, but no 40 yet. Always a bride's maid and never the bride. =))
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

That some impressive shooting!
I think I will spend the winter seeking out more 22 mag ammo for next season!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

The 22 mag is a joy to shoot in this game. And you don't have to reload!

my experience mirrors Jason and I shot it at Nationals and have held my own.

I have never had good experience with the Federal 50 gr in my rifle. They're solid 4 moa at 100 m :?

Get some 40's. you'll ring a few rams with them until you find some of the Hornady 45's. I've never rung well set, regulation targets with them.

Like Jason, I've pulled 40 gr bullets and replaced them with 45gr Sierra hornet bullets over VV N110. YMMV
- Joe
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

edgehit wrote:The 22 mag is a joy to shoot in this game. And you don't have to reload!

my experience mirrors Jason and I shot it at Nationals and have held my own.

I have never had good experience with the Federal 50 gr in my rifle. They're solid 4 moa at 100 m :?

Get some 40's. you'll ring a few rams with them until you find some of the Hornady 45's. I've never rung well set, regulation targets with them.

Like Jason, I've pulled 40 gr bullets and replaced them with 45gr Sierra hornet bullets over VV N110. YMMV
Joe-

What rifle are you using that won't shoot the Federal 50gr?

Reason I ask, your's is the 1st I've heard that wouldn't shoot the 50gr Federal 757 ammo into at least a decent group (2 to 2-1/2" @ the ram line). I've a Henry Frontier and David H's old model 57M and they'll both shoot 2" groups consistently with the 50gr Federal ammo (I quit shooting them because I can no longer find that ammo... at least at a decent price!). They both group better with 40gr ammo (usually 1", if not better), but they're plenty good enough with 50gr for this game, IMHO.

Inversely, neither of my rifles will shoot the Critical Defense 45gr well... 6" at 100, at best! Which is disappointing because those are definitely more reliable in taking the ram down! Whereas my 10" Thompson Contender will group the Critical Defense 45g into nickle and quarter size groups at 100.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm shooting a Marlin 57M currently, and have tested a few other guns. It has been a bit since I tested with other guns, but the last one was a Winchester 9422M, I think. The Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain loads were indeed terrible out of my rifle, but shoot great with the powder replaced and are reliable on the PC rams that way.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Tim,
It's a Win 9422M Legacy. I've placed with it at Nationals and won OK Regional with it. I haven't seen anyone's 22mag shoot Federal 50 after federal lowered the muzzle velocity a few years ago. That's when Hassinger and I both began pulling bullets. The old stuff shot lights out. A Sierra 45 gr hornet bullet over 5.5 gr N110 was the winner until I found Hornady critical defense. Why N110? It's a single base, short tick powder that is easy to ignite. I got hang fires using H110, "click....bang!"

The federal 50 I've pulled bullets had powder charges varying by 1 gr, which is a lot in a tiny case. The stuff was crap.

Funny, I completed my grand slam using Eley yellow box years ago. Didn't need a heavy hitter that day.
- Joe