Eley Standard bulk, $355/case shipped!

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Eley Standard bulk, $355/case shipped!

Post by frankmako »

What type of lube does it have and how does the lube effect the bulk pack rounds. Is it a mess in the box.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I had some of that Eley purple box stuff before; it worked well enough in my riflles.

I am disappointed to hear that Jerry's chronograph is in Montana and evidently they don't sell any in Arizona.

I was looking forward to reading his thoughts and data obtained about this CMP sold Eley ammo.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The lube is hard parrifin base, like cci sv, not the softer tallow on target and club. I’m trying it out tomorrow in a couple rifles. At the price point not expecting much more then cci or Agillia. We’ll see....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

How many chronographs do you own Dave? At over $300 a pop one is all I can afford. :-bd
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:17 pm How many chronographs do you own Dave? At over $300 a pop one is all I can afford. :-bd
Hell, I don't even reload yet! A chronograph is a ways off. Hell, you have two houses! I figure you needed a chronograph for each house, that includes a duplicate reloading setup too. Duplicate firearms, etc.! \m/
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Real world test today.... in a 1712 barreled 54:18 action, in a Lija barreled 54:18 action and in a Uberti 1866 that I use for SBCLA.

Obviously all things rimfire, YMMV.... it wasn't particularly loved in any of the three rifles.

On the plus side, my 54:18 that is Lija barreled won't chamber anything but match ammo... it chambers this stuff reasonably well. The wax is stiff and on the bullet and case. I shot probably 150ish round and all went bang. Looks like basicly it's kinda OK with a lot of fliers. The 2 Anschutz will shoot a small fuzzy hole at 40 yards, the best groups with either were +/- .5". The Uberti shoots about a inch group normaly with CCI SV (actually shoots match ammo horribly) and it shot a 2+" group with this stuff.

I'd say it's worth $355 shipped for a case if you need plinking ammo or practice ammo that you are more worried about getting in the general area then accuracy. I wouldn't shoot it in a match...

YMMV and this was IMHO... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Thanks for the report Emmett. I guess it's good for the asking price but no "magic bullet".

:D
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you very much for the report!
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Shot some this morning. Wind not cooperating, 5-15 from 3 o'clock. Looked good for vertical, about a half inch ; horizontal 1-2 inches.
Shows some promise, will try again Thursday.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Shot again this am. Wind 5-10 mph, 5 to 7 o'clock. Again , good vertical with horizontal spread in tune with the wind shifts. 3 ten shot groups avg 3/4 vert, less than 2 horizontal.
I would be good to go for match use.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am very interested in this ammo for plinking with my S&W K22 Masterpiece. It sticks horribly in the cylinders after firing. The Eley Target stuff I have sitting around and CCI SV stuff extract without issues and is accurate enough to plunk with.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

No feed or extraction problems. 54-18 MSR w/shilen
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I picked mine up this morning and have not tested it. Looks and feels like SK.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

Got a case. After about 15 shots it takes effort to extract. After a chamber cleaning it feeds again. This is in a 54.18MS-R. I could not get keep 10's on the 50 foot NRA/USA target from the bench; some out to 8, but I'd say average 9.3. I didnt try it in the Win52D chamber--expect it would take more frequent chamber cleaning at a minimum.
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

[quote=rogersptl post_id=93208 time=1510078339 user_id=1480]
Got a case. After about 15 shots it takes effort to extract. After a chamber cleaning it feeds again. This is in a 54.18MS-R. I could not get keep 10's on the 50 foot NRA/USA target from the bench; some out to 8, but I'd say average 9.3. I didnt try it in the Win52D chamber--expect it would take more frequent chamber cleaning at a minimum.
[/quote]

That is the way the Anguilla Eley Sport in the purple box functioned. Sounds like the same stuff. We are going to pass.
Somebody that bought it needs to test at 100 meters just for the heck of it.
Silhouette is sorely lacking in inexpensive subsonic ammo that will hold a decent group at 100 meters for matches.