"Holy Grail" of cheap & match ammo.

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
glocker17
B Poster
B Poster

Post by glocker17 »

Dont give up hope on the 714, I worked for Federal Cartridge in the 90's myself. We often made runs of ammo that were never cataloged. Usually made for a specific distributor or a promotion of some sort. If enough demand is out the I sure it could be made available if it has completely dried up at the wholesale level.

Blake
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by NewAZShooter »

At my last pistol silhouette match the firing pin on my BuckMark sheared in two inexplicably and a buddy offered me to shoot his T/C in .22 LR with a tight match chamber. The only ammo I had left in the bag was that cheap bulk-packed "Golden Bullet" stuff that comes in a square box of 525 or so rounds. I think I found it at Sportsman's Warehouse in PHX and picked it up for pistol plinking.

Anyway, the dern stuff helped me shoot 31/40 for my highest score ever by about 8 animals! Of course, it might have been the T/C not the ammo. But after hitting ten chickens and 9 rams that day it was clear something seemed to work with that ammo and pistol combo. It was my first ever ten in a row at any of the silhouette sports, and I shot it with what might be the cheapest ammo I've ever bought.

As has been said already, you just never know about the cheap stuff until to try it in your firearms. Sometimes you get lucky and the cheap stuff does work. I have tried some super cheap "Blazer" though that always groups twice as large as almost anything else, well Eley Club Extra was terrible in all my .22s too. So I know some ammo is a total waste in all of my .22s.

Most of my .22s (rifles and pistols both) shoot Lapua Master M $6.36, Eley Silhouex $5.21, Wolf $3.00, or Eley Practice 100 $3.39 per 50 rounds as the best of the less expensive ammo. They also shot the Lapua Midas L $11.21 and Eley Tenex Semi Auto $13.33 pretty well, but those were too expensive for my budget and the groups were not tighter than the more moderate ammo listed above.

Shoot anything you can find, try it all, have fun, and hope your rigs like something you can afford. That's what worked best for me.
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag