Ammo and the 10/22

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Ammo and the 10/22

Post by Travelor »

Your question has been asked many, many times and the answer is always "it depends". Depends on what your barrel likes and on how the specific lot shoots in your gun.

But as to a general answer to a general question:

My wife and I shoot highly modified 10/22's and have found that SK Standard Plus works just about as well as anything else. We are shooting with Green Mountain and Shilen barrels. Eley Match EPS shoots better, but at an additional $4.00 a box, we find it not really worth the difference when shooting offhand.

Youre mileage may vary.
Last edited by Travelor on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

ammo

Post by Hutch »

Yep - Was just wondering what the major brands that most shoot. Just didn't want to go by 12 or 15 different boxes of shells.
B Poster

Post by Buckshot1822 »

Mine wont group eley worth a hoot, i tried club, club xtra, silhouex, practice 100, and benchrest and none of it would consistently group. The best stuff I found is RWS it loves it. It really depends on the barrel though P.S. I have a Kidd on mine.
"The day guns are outlawed is the day I become an outlaw."
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

new build

Post by Hutch »

Mind has a:
Boyds Blaster Nutmeg Stock
Heavy Bolt Kit
Kidd trigger Group
Barska 6.5x20x50
Weaver Grand Slam Rings

Just bought the barrel below, should be here next week.
BARREL: green mountain 16 in fluted bull bbl. blue started life as 22 short has been reworked by skeeter now 22l.r. precision chambered, lapped ,molyfusioned.
A Poster

Bedded?

Post by Travelor »

Have you bedded your rifle per instuctions on Rimfire Central? THis is the single most effective thing we did to get our rifles to shoot consistenly well.

Here is the link: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=95016

I have spoke to no one that has not seen a significant improvement to their rebarreled 10/22's that did this bedding.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hutch »

Thanks Travelor, I'm going to shot it a few times and see what it's doing and then I think I will get it bedded.
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

I have shot a lot of ammo through my Lilja Barreled 10/22 these past few months getting ready for the Sportsmans Team Challenge.

Short of spending $10 or more per box, I found that the Eley Biathlon Sport was the best. The wax they use on the Biathlon ammo isnt real messy which keeps the Semi Autos happy.

I picked up another case from Cathy and James in Raton last month. http://www.helpwithtech.com/about.htm
Hutch
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hutch »

Thanks I'll give those a try.
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Hoser, good to see you here man. I take full responsibility for tempting hoser to come out and shoot silhouette again. So dont any of you get upset when he beats your behind.

Hope we see you at a match soon. How is the rifle coming along?

Kevin
Worker 11811
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Worker 11811 »

In my 10/22, anything from Remington doesn't shoot worth crap. Even the target grade ammo from Remington only shoots as well as my gun's favorite ammo.

For everyday shooting, my gun likes Federal. Auto Match. Regular bulk pack. American Eagle. It all shoots well. Auto Match does produce more consistent groups so, for everyday stuff, I use that.

For serious shooting, I've tried everything from Aguila, Fiocci, CCI Green Tag and several others. The only brand I haven't tried is Eley. So, except for that, the best shooting round in my 10/22 is Wolf Match Target.

I can't get Eley or Wolf locally, so I have to mail order those brands.

I think, the next time I need good ammo, I think I'm going to try some Eley too.
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

kevinp wrote:Hope we see you at a match soon. How is the rifle coming along?
The 1827 is at the Doc right now. Should only be a few months... But thats gunsmith time. I guess five months as he said three.

I have been shooting my Annie 8002 in the basement a lot. Kinda fun to see the old shapes in the crosshairs again.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Hoser if you want to go out to my range and shoot some real targets let me know. I am usually free most Saturday afternoons or Sunday afternoons.

Kevin
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Hmmm... Wonder how my Anschutz's favorite, Federal 711B, works in a 10/22?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

No, No, Blaubear.................

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Of course Federal Automatch shoots really well, too, costs less and is easier to get. Still, 711 and 719 are better ammunition in most rifles...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ