Suggested ammo to sight-in new CZ452?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Suggested ammo to sight-in new CZ452?

Post by LH2 »

I'm getting my new 452 set up for silhouette and I understand that rimfires tend to have a favorite ammo.

I plan to try CCI Standard Velocity / Green Tag & Rem/Eley Rifle Match.

I read on RFC that SK Standard Plus is the same ammo as Wolf MT. I plan to try one of these as well.

I thought the Federal .22 target ammo was discontinued but Champions Choice has Gold Medal and Target (box pictured). The red box is on special too. Should I give the Federal a try? Image

Any other brands I should try? Thanks!
jimsiggy
Unclassified Poster

Post by jimsiggy »

remington subsonic, shoots very well in my 452 and it's cheap
Gun Control is as simple as BRASS: Breath Relax Aim Squeeze Shoot.

Three things essential to the founding of America: God, Guts and Guns. If we allow these to go, so shall we.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I like Federal, but not for a "real match" - good for practice. My 64's didn't like the Gold Medal stuff too much. It ate it fine and it shot well, but I couldn't close my actions after a box or two - I'd have to scrub them out. Very sooty.

I think you covered the bases - get a box of each and really try to group them all and see what your rifle likes most. I'd look for consistency and group size.

The Aguila, CCI, Federal, and Wolf/SK are what I see at most practices and monthly matches.

You can certainly work your way up to Fiocchi, RWS, Eley and such but it's bit of a waste for practice.
ImageImage
jwilli
Unclassified Poster

Post by jwilli »

I'm acquanted with six CZ smallbore shooters. Three of the six use PMC Scoremaster for silhouette. Tested my own with R-50, Tenex, Federal Gold and a few others and I also wound up using the Scoremaster. Low cost but the 452's seem to like it.

Jwilli
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Post by orangeblaster »

Previous poster recommended PMC scoremaster which is out of production. If your interested you should know PMC Scormaster was repackaged Aguila standard velocity. Eley recently started repackaging the Aguila with the label Eley Sport. Champion Shooter Supplies has good prices for the Eley Sport.
I can't personally say how it will work in a 452 yet... but as we speak a brick of Eley Sport is riding around town in a brown truck with my name on the box. If I remember I'll post some results with my American 452.
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Sport

Post by orangeblaster »

Finnally got around to shooting the eley sport off the bench. At first I thought I had just wasted my $16 on brick of junk. Groups of 1" to 5" !!!
So I switched to wolf match extra and got the same results. This is when I realized I had a serious scope mount problem that should have been obvious much earlier. So I got the mounts locked down, cleaned out the barrel to avoid having the wolf lube impact the results, and switched back to the eley sport.
Unfortuately by this time the wind had picked up and my limited patience for bench shooting was used up. Dispite this the sport shot 10 groups between 1/2" and 1" at 50 yds depending on the wind. Due to the wind I only shot a few groups 100 yds with acceptable results given the conditions.
So long story short, my experiment was not very scientific. I can say the sport ammo is good enough and cheap enough to be a good practice ammo. Especially when my limited skills and budget are considered.
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Sport

Post by orangeblaster »

Finnally got around to shooting the eley sport off the bench. At first I thought I had just wasted my $16 on brick of junk. Groups of 1" to 5" !!!
So I switched to wolf match extra and got the same results. This is when I realized I had a serious scope mount problem that should have been obvious much earlier. So I got the mounts locked down, cleaned out the barrel to avoid having the wolf lube impact the results, and switched back to the eley sport.
Unfortuately by this time the wind had picked up and my limited patience for bench shooting was used up. Dispite this the sport shot 10 groups between 1/2" and 1" at 50 yds depending on the wind. Due to the wind I only shot a few groups 100 yds with acceptable results given the conditions.
So long story short, my experiment was not very scientific. I can say the sport ammo is good enough and cheap enough to be a good practice ammo. Especially when my limited skills and budget are considered.

Post by Guest »

My 452 Varmint loves Eley Practice 100. I've shot Aguila target and subsonics and it hates them. It likes Wolf MT too. Scoremaster didn't shoot too well either.

Good thing about Eley is you can practice with the cheap stuff, then on match day use the more expensive stuff (like Club Extra) and not have to change sight settings (much).