Eley rumor...

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
glocker17
B Poster
B Poster

Eley rumor...

Post by glocker17 »

I heard today that Eley will be reducing the large number of different ammo types that they market, as many are just the same ammo in a different color box and given a different name. This is expected to take place in 08'. I guess we will see what happens.

Blake
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Makes sense.... Let's hope we can still afford it in 08. If the dollar continues it tumble we all maybe shooting sling shots and stones :wink:

Unfortuantely Bluebear and Dawg already have slingshots on order from Anschutz :shock:
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob259 wrote:Makes sense.... Let's hope we can still afford it in 08. If the dollar continues it tumble we all maybe shooting sling shots and stones :wink:

Unfortuantely Bluebear and Dawg already have slingshots on order from Anschutz :shock:
Just trying to beat the rush! It isn't like we've cornered the market.

There is good US made ammunition - when you can get it! I'm still cranky about Federal 711B going MIA...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Heh.. I found lots of 711b locally last year when I was testing ammo. I still about 7 or 8 boxes each of the bricks of different lots I tried. None of it shot worth a hoot in my 1712, CZ452, or H&R M12. It shot decent in my Marlin 57 cowboy gun, but I rang a couple rams with it and haven't used it again. I'm taking a bunch of ammo up to burn up with the extended family over the holidays and the 711b is going with me. I'll either trade it for some different target grade ammo or shoot it up plinking with the relatives. To give you an idea how bad it was, the Golden Eagle Target that I got for less than $150 a case shot WAY better in all three guns than the 711b. :)
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jason wrote:........To give you an idea how bad it was, the Golden Eagle Target that I got for less than $150 a case shot WAY better in all three guns than the 711b. :)
I agree... however I don't know what it is but the Eley Sport and Aquila GE and SE chambers hard in my Anschutz and CZ and causes jams in my Kidd 10/22. If they ever got that fixed it would be the best thing going, for the price. One will chamber great and the next five it's difficult to close the bolt. Switch to any other good ammo and they close like a knife going through butter.

I see Champion Shooters posted on their site that Lapua, SK and Wolf prices are going up 30% :shock: very soon, probably on their next shipment. Just ordered another case to be safe.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

711b decenters I wish you lived near me. I'll buy all you got (well within the limits of my suburban budget)!! Heck I'll buy SK Std plus & swap you.

Yesterday morning (very calm early at Bayou Rifles; Eldridge) with my son's Cooper Jackson Hunter and my Kimber HS I shot several groups with averages in the 7/8" range (@ ram line) from both. My own benchrest skill is suspect. Worst groups were 1-1.25' which again I attribute to my skill (or more accurately stated, lack thereof) on the bench.

I guarantee these were mixed lots. I cover most of the SE (TX, OK, AT, LA, MS, TN, AL, S/NC, GA, FL) in my work. When on the road I hit as may shops as I can (my last "buy" was in Jackson, MS at Surplus Supply). When 711b is available at a reasonable price I buy it. Most often this is in 4-8 box lots. I make no effort to keep seperated in lots. But used it as it comes out of the gun cabinet and even more mixed in my range ammo box.

Sure it ain't Eley EPS but IMHO one of the top $3.50-4.00/box ammo out there. So again if you're near Houston and want to sell 711b please contact me!

Pete A.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Heck, if you've got 711B to dump, message me - I'll buy it and pay the shipping, no fuss about lot numbers.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Bob259 wrote:I agree... however I don't know what it is but the Eley Sport and Aquila GE and SE chambers hard in my Anschutz and CZ and causes jams in my Kidd 10/22. If they ever got that fixed it would be the best thing going, for the price. One will chamber great and the next five it's difficult to close the bolt. Switch to any other good ammo and they close like a knife going through butter.
I hate the same problem with one lot of GET that I bought a case of. I ended up having a two-month-long fight with the importer over them replacing that case because it was so bad that it was out of spec and wouldn't even chamber in factory Contender, CZ452, and Anschutz barrels. It finally got escalated up to someone in charge and he shipped me another case that shoots well and chambers in all the rifles (not always perfectly smooth but neither does anything but high-end Eley). It doesn't shoot quite as well as those first couple of cases that I bought a couple years ago, though.