Federal 714 @ Dick's Sporting Goods

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Federal 714 @ Dick's Sporting Goods

Post by Pete A. »

Was just up in Dallas and bought a case of Federal 714 (boxes look exactly like the cheaper 510 HV stuff). The price is listed at $19.98/brick. But if you buy a case & use a bit of 'salesmanship' you can get a bit of a discount (I got 9%). This brings a case to right at $200 out the door. They report that all the stores have ample supplies.

Not as cheap as Eley Sport or CMP Aquilla but my guns with me shooting get better groups at 100m. My experience with Sport or Aquilla is ok but not great, really not much better than cheap bulk HV stuff. Though shooters I respect like the stuff.

Best part of the 714 is is shoots darn close to same point of impact ("Holy Grail") as my loved 711B. With 2 sons & me and 3 rifles at match differing combinations of sight settings (match ammo & practice ammo) is a recipe for lots of stress and misses.

Pete A.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Any specs?

Post by Jetmugg »

Do you have the velocity specs for the Federal 714? (is it subsonic or supersonic?) I don't see it referenced @ Federal's website.

SteveM.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Jetmugg, It's listed as standard velocity (about 1130 fps). I chronographed it with 2 Suhls and a 1712. Velocities ranged from 1080 to 1190 fps. That was from 6 different lots and each lot had that much velocity variation. The ammo shot good enough for practice but after about 5 boxes the 1712 ( the one with the most generous chamber) was hard to cam the bolt down on a round. I sold all I had to a friend that shoots a S&W 41 in an indoor bullseye league and he does well. Hope this helps.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Federal .22 ammo is well known for not having enough lubrication and leading barrels. You may want to add some lubrication to it, one way is to use Pam (cooking oil) sprayed sparingly on a freezer plastic bag and then drop a few boxes of Fed .22 ammo inside. I have used Pam quite a bit and is not really that messy and seems to help ammo that does not have a lot of lubrication or ammo whose lubrication appears to have dried out.

If you do not want to get Pam on the brass another alternative is to get Lee's bullet lubricant "LIQUID ALOX" and mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits (liquid alox by itself is very thick and would not work on .22 ammo) and using a small plastic container put enough of the mixture to dip and cover the lead bullets only and not the brass, then shake the excess off on some paper towels and let them dry.

In order for this process to go fast the ammo needs to be in 50 round plastic holders so that you do not have to do one round at a time. When I did that to my Fed Match 900 I did a few bricks at a time in less than 30 minutes.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I just clean the rifle ... :shock:
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

714 is promising, but I've found it to have too many fliers.
- Joe
brantman
B Poster
B Poster

federal 714

Post by brantman »

cant get it around here in jersey anybody know any websites that yoou can order from