22LR Powder Charge

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

And were your very nice sized groups an average of multiple groups?

When testing ammo for sillywet I try to average 5 10 shot groups at each distance.

What happened to picking up a few boxes of each brand/lot, finding what your gun likes, then having at it?
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I would definetely say shoot your test groups through a chrony to tell the consistency of the ammo. This way you not only know real velocity numbers but you see the actual results from groups on the targets.

As for seeing the animal fall using faster ammo I would say it is easier to see the animal fall using the standard velocity ammo. At home I use CCI Blazers @1255 fps and can see them fall. When I use Eley the recoil is less and the scope hardly moves at all even with my light rifle making it easier to see the action.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

If you look up the muzzle velocity, you already know it's a 40 grain bullet, and figuring out muzzle energy from that is simple. And the 'for any action there is an equal and opposite reaction' theory you learned in science class applies directly. If the bullet has a muzzle energy of 100 ft/lbs then there is also the same amount of energy pushing back on the gun, and you. The gun, and you, just happen to weigh more than 40 grains.
Mike 3-4 wrote:SHORTY: Got this recoil information from www.biggameinfo.com and needed to provide them with bullet wgt./ powder charge/ firearm wgt. Have one very similar from an old Layne Simpson artical but the website does the calculation while I'm drinking my beer. This sight also provides recoil data for black powder and various subs. Please have a look and let me know what you think. Thanx
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

STEVE: I think you may have misunderstood my ability at small bore. I shot a short time at Ben Avery 15 years ago with a few shoot throughs and a hand full of matches. At that time I started a new job at the USPS and have been working weekends so I gave up silhouette. Those groups are from the bench from an accurate T/C. My initial question came from a previous post about follow through. That person said he came up several inches from his target and I questioned my own problems if shooting HV if permitted. I remember one windy Sunday out there my score on turkeys was good using Win T-22 which I felt was faster than the Fed Gold Metal I had normally used. Until last week I wasn't aware of BRUNO Shooters Supply 15 minutes from home so finding good ammo will not be a problem. I gotta tell you I've learned more from this forum since 3/27/08 than the year I fooled around at BA trying to get information. All the folks out there were great but I was too new to ask good questions. Thanx
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Its great having Bruno's in town eh? I wish I still lived at 35th/Greenway........

This upcoming Sunday's SB sillywet at BASF, come on by! Sorry if I came off rude, I just know my experience has taught me that I need to quit chasing equipment issues, and focus more on my shooter issues :wink:

Not to say having the best you can have isn't worthwhile, but I encourage a happy medium.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E