Centurion 40gr by Aguila? Anyone familiar with this ammo.

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Centurion 40gr by Aguila? Anyone familiar with this ammo.

Post by Dee »

Just noticed it on Gun Broker and while it shoots at 1240 fps it is only $175 a case. Anyone used it that can comment on its quality or lack there of? Not looking to find out if it is match grade just good consistent practice ammo.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =102848943

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

This sounds like the same stuff CMP is selling for $189 a case, except that's listed as 1135 fps.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

CMP ammo

Post by GregG »

The new stuff the CMP is selling is in a white box and is labeled with their logo.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Thats the problem today with so much 3rd party manufacturing going on. I work in a plant and we do some 3rd party production. Even within our own product line we have several names for the exact same thing depending on what country it is going to. The price is also varied but all the product comes from the same bulk lot after formulation.

So hard to tell who is making what for whom and if so they are likely making it for others as well. Now they leave it up to us to figure it all out and try to get the ammo we want at the best price we can find it without paying more for just a different box and logo.

A guy on RFC only had a chance to test it at 25 but said it was promising and would stretch it out later and report more. I am hopeful :)

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

One of the guys here is using it in his 10-22 and having great luck with it, even out at the Rams. The CMP ammo is manufactured by Aquila, like the Eley Sport, but the CMP white box seems to chamber better they tell me.

I gave up using Aquila and Eley Sport because it chambers so hard in my rifles and with the 10-22. They seem to be a little over sized, or more lube, and won't allow my bolt to completly close with out a little more effort.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

To use Eley Sport, and at least some of the Aguila rounds, you have to clean every 100 rounds or so. Whether that's lubricant or carbon buildup I don't know, but they do become hard to chamber and the spents get hard to extract so keep a dowel handy.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I know a AAA shooter that just loves the stuf. He was buying it for around $120/ case just a couple years ago. It was called Mexican Eley by many that used it.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

JGSales had it for $139/cs not long ago...
ImageImage
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Jerry G wrote:I know a AAA shooter that just loves the stuf. He was buying it for around $120/ case just a couple years ago. It was called Mexican Eley by many that used it.
This is great stuff for the price so I'm not knocking the accuracy. We also have a top notch shooter (AAA & pushing Master I believe) that loves Eley Sport even though he starts having ejection problems after awhile. Fortunately I have some better stuff stock piled and will stick with it for now - and try not to think about what I'll do when that's gone.
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I'm shooting the Aguila stuff, it's called Super Extra Stnd. Velocity comes in a yellow box. Inspite of the fancy name, it's there cheap stnd Vel. ammo, not there "Premium Stuff" which I think is called Golden Eagle. I ordered a Case a few years ago, paid $ 125 delivered. I used it primarily in Hunter Pistol, and in Cowboy Rifle where I'm a Master in both. I thought it was great. I ordered another case Aug. '07 and it was $ 180 delivered. I've shot quite a few 39's with it. even set a SBCLA chix record with it a couple weeks back. Plenty accuratee for half scale targets.

Although, I shoot SB Hunter Rifle rarely (I am AAA), I have shot it in my 541S and it works okay. Not my first choice there, but for Matches, but plenty good enuff for practice.

I ordered from the telephone number on the website.