Rimfire Question

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Rimfire Question

Post by Jim Beckley »

If a .22 shell is improperly primed or is loaded without powder and the case is fired and the bullet doesn't make it all the way out the barrel, what do you think would happen? Split case, any damage to receiver or barrel, how about the bolt?
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

If you're talking about an extreme squib with just some primer, there's no damage unless you fire another round behind it. You may hear an odd double pop, the case would probably rupture and the gasses would jet out the relief port (or ports) drilled in the receiver for just such a possibility, and the bolt would probably be tough to open. Both bullets may or may not leave the bore, and you may or may not need clean shorts.

It probably won't damage the rifle but even if you can get the bullets out of the bore, have the rifle checked by a gunsmith before using it again. I've had some under loaded squibs that barely went 20 meters before plopping into the dirt, and those were funny, but so for none so extreme they didn't clear the bore. Case ruptures are another matter since those slice right through any misplaced fingers. Fortunately, I only have a scar on my thumb from that learning experience...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I saw this happen at a SB match at Ridgway last year. The shooter was using RWS ammo in a 54MS Anschutz. He did not realize he had fired a sqib load. When he fired the next round it blew the extractor off the bolt. Also the barrel had to be replaced. Al F.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Rimfire Question

Post by Jim Beckley »

A buddy of mine blew the extractor off from his Rem 700 bolt about a month ago, didn't kinow if it was double primed, double charged, or what. It didn't harm the barrel or anything.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

cslcAl wrote:Also the barrel had to be replaced. Al F.
That surprises me some, but replacing the barrel on a competition rifle after something like that probably is a good idea, even if it's just a precaution.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Firing another round after one gets stuck in the barrel will likely put a noticable bulge in the barrel. Doesn't necessarily affect accuracy, so they say. But I can't see how it wouldn't. Lead doesn't spring back.
BlauBear wrote:That surprises me some, but replacing the barrel on a competition rifle after something like that probably is a good idea, even if it's just a precaution.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Ringed barrels

Post by Travelor »

My experience is that firing a second bullet down the barrel into an obstruction such as a lodged bullet with put a ring (or loose spot) in the barrel.

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Ringed barrels

Post by BlauBear »

Travelor wrote:My experience is that firing a second bullet down the barrel into an obstruction such as a lodged bullet with put a ring (or loose spot) in the barrel.

George
That I believe, though I'd be very surprised if a rimfire barrel actually bulged. Barrel steel is pretty stout and a lot of the force will channel out the relief ports, but it's still a strong pressure wave front that has to go some where before it will push back against the bolt.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Ringed barrels

Post by _Shorty »

I just said that. ;)
Travelor wrote:My experience is that firing a second bullet down the barrel into an obstruction such as a lodged bullet with put a ring (or loose spot) in the barrel.

George
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Rimfire Question

Post by Jim Beckley »

At a sight in service that the Ben Avery Club offers each year, one fellow came up and said that he couldn't get his gun to shoot, after checking all the screws, I put it on a bag and took a shot at a plastic bottle that was on the berm, it hit the bottle, the second and third shot were about a foot off in either direction, while sitting there trying to figure what was wrong, the guy says "do you think this has anything to do with it", there was a bulge about 4 inches froward of the chamber area, but that was a bigbore, haven't seen one with a smallbore.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Mach 2 wrote:...the breech end chamber is also "corked" with an expanded brass case.
Too true, meaning a case rupture before it vents. And you're right, the main pressure wave will have passed before that happens.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I ask you........What subject cant be found on Google?

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... gle+Search
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Happened this past Saturday at the Staten Island SB match. 1712 with Lapua Super Club.

After checking the shoooter reported a ring in the barrel. He's using it as an excuse to rebarrel with a Lilja
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Hey, whatever works...