Next Step Up

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Next Step Up

Post by dwl »

Is there an ammo somewhere between SK Standar Plus and Eley Ultimate EPS that works well for silhouette. While the season has warmed I was not impressed with the accuracy of Standard Plus in cold weather and the occasional flyer outside of my bench hold.

I have looked for Aguila Golden Eagle but have not found a supplier yet.

By the way, I tried some Lapua Master that came with my gun from the prior owner. Shot well but imagine my surprise to look at the case head and discover it was SK. Which SK I don
kahuna
B Poster
B Poster

Post by kahuna »

That is because Lapua, Make's SK and Wolf.
N.R.A. Life member
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

These discussions always have to start with the reminder that not only the ammo type but the individual lot number will be important to YOUR rifle. I have ammo that shoots great in one rifle and terrible in another. Try to find a source that will let you buy a few boxes for testing and then sell you more of what works, same lot number.
The SK plant in what used to be East Germany makes some of the mid-grade Lapua.
Several of the makers label the same ammo with different designations depending on how it shoots in test guns and, perhaps, whether it's produced at the start or finish of the lot run. Eley Black Box EPS is just Tenex with a different label and a lower price, $7 vs. $12. Your rifle may prefer one over the other depending on lot number. But many of us have discovered that paying $12 per box is no guarantee of accuracy. You've just got to do the testing and then buy in bulk. Finding the best ammo for your rifle is expensive. One of the things you're paying for with high dollar ammo is consistency and a much lower chance of wild flyers.
OK, let's see. I had a brick of RWS "Target Rifle" that was just fantastic. That is about $3 ammo. Check with Champions. There are other mid-grades of RWS before you get to the $12 stuff. That's a good company and their stuff is worth a try. There are several grades of Eley between "Practice" (which is not likely to be worth the trouble) and Tenex (which may not be worth the money for silhouette.) Try some "Club."
SK makes grades higher than Standard but cheaper than Tenex or Lapua Midas.
Don't hesitate to try the various brands marked "Pistol Match."
Just plug away at your testing and buy big when you stumble onto the right load. Good luck and good shooting.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

I fully agree with Alston, different guns like different ammo and even lots within the same type.

I have had very good luck with SK Match ammo in all my guns, it is $4 ammo from Champion's Shooters Supply. But I have had really good luck with Wolf MT after bedding my rifles - this stopped almost all vetical groups with this ammo as well as other. They also have other ammo for pretty good prices and are really nice people.

There internet address is: www.championshooters.com/start.html

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.