.22 lube

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Fick_2141
B Poster
B Poster

.22 lube

Post by Fick_2141 »

Like many I have notice that residual lube makes a few rounds perform better than they normally do. So I decided to try to make some lube, and see if I could effect the accuracy of known inaacurate ammo in one of my rifles.
I know that beeswax is a major ingredient in lube, so I went to a hobby store and got some. I read somewhere that someone had produced a decent lube mixing M pro 7 ( a very slick bore cleaner ).
I decided to mix some other batches using other oily substances, like Ballistol, and some gun oil like CLP with PTFE.

I melted a small ammount of wax and poured it into a muffin pan that had each of the test oils in individual muffin holes. I mixed them up and melted them again and tried to put some on the bullets only.
This was a desaster, because the wax gelled up immediately with large clumps all over the ammo.

Testing.
Like I said this was using ammo that I knew would shoot horribly. I did a baseline test of unlubed ammo. 5 shots at 40 yrds made a group of 6" ( I told you it was bad) I then began to test the lubed bullets. I tried each of the test batches with a great improvement in the groups. With the wax the shot groups for all three batches shrank to one inch. While it is not great accuracy, it was a great improvement.

Beeswax melts very easily. The muffin pan made silver dollar sized waffers of hardened lube. I found that just rubbing around with my finger I could effectivly melt a small amount of the wax and apply a thin amount of slickkness to each bullet that resembles most higher priced target ammo. I will go to the range this week and do more extensive tests at 100 meters.
NRA Life Member
PCGC Silhouette match director
Long Range Silhouette Guru.
52B heavy 15X Lyman STS
52B sporter repro w/weaver T24
Rem. 40X USMC marked
HRM12
Kimber 82G
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

What I am about to say is based on my experiences only.

First, if you start with an accurate rifle you will shoot decent groups at chickens with just about any target ammo and some times even with high velocity ammo but past pigs you will need to have good ammo in order to get good groups.

Second, lube will only help your groups if the ammo is good to begging with but is lacking lubrication, like most ammo made by Federal. If the ammo does not have enough lubrication and you do not clean the barrel before every match the lead build up will affect the accuracy of the rifle with time.

Third, lubrication of the .22 bullets is hard to do as you found out but I will tell you what has worked for a lot of people including me. If you mix LEE ALOX liquid bullet lubricant and MINERAL SPIRITS 50-50 mixture then put enough in a small plastic container to only cover the lead. You can dip the bullets 50 at a time if your bullets have the right boxes like Federal ammo and others.

Dip a box in the mixture, take it out right away and remove the excess lubrication using paper towels or an old clean t-shirt but make sure what you use is very absorbent. Then let the ammo get dry for a short while before putting it back in their boxes. This is the most painless way of putting lubrication on ammo that needs it and I usually do a few bricks at a time. The end result is a finish on the bullets that resembles brownish paint varnish but it really helps.

Fourth, stay away from any liquid mixture that would penetrate the cartridges and would foul the powder as you can probably imagine I have done that too. Doing one round at a time like you did is very tedious and I venture to say you would have a hard time applying the lubricant evenly and with the same quantity so the weight of the bullets are going to vary.

Fifth, do your testing at the longest distances so you can really tell if what you are doing is making a difference.

Sixth, do not waste your time with cheap (read bad) ammo because lubricating it is not going to make it better. If you can't get better groups than 1.5" at 100 yards you are probably wasting your time with that ammo. Most of us strive for 1 minute of angle or better for good results.

Another thing you can try is using Pam, spray some in a plastic bag and then put the ammo in the bag and shake it. It will fill oily to the touch but its not too messy a proposition and if your ammo is in need of lubrication or need to be refreshed because of age this will help.

Seven, most experimentation that I have done has not affected accuracy adversely only when allowed to penetrate and foul the powder. So if you use some of the lubricants used in the auto industry use it just before the match. I have used Slick 50 in the past with good results but it fouled the ammo that I did not use the same day.

I hope this helps and saves you time in your experimentation.

This is my 30th year shooting both HP and SB silhouettes so I have seen and done a lot of experiments myself. Some worked and some have just wasted my time and money but I had fun doing them and learning from them.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I believe that accurate ammo is the result of consistent bullet weights, consistent powder charges, and consistent primers. I also think that if you don't clean your rifle well after changing bullets with different types of lube you will have accurcy problems. I'm not sure what that says for the lube itself.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Jerry, a few years back all around the western states we bought a bunch of Federal match and Ultra match that was very good but needed lubrication added so as not to lead the barrels.

The people that cast and shoot their own bullets are always looking for the best lubricant for their bullets and .22 ammo is not different so it depends on good lubrication to perform.

Some time ago I came across some very old Eley TENEX in paper boxes with dried out lubrication that had been in some one's garage for many years. I bought the bunch thinking that I wanted to see if could refresh its lubrication and make it shoot good again, just recently I traded for a case of old Lapua ammo that also had very hard dried out lubricant.

In both cases I was able to make that ammo shoot to its potential by adding lubricant to it so I can tell you by experience that it works.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Wish I'd known about Alox yesterday when I placed that order! It's on the wish list for next time though! I like Federal 711B but hate the leading so I will definitely give it a try.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Shipping cost is cost is pretty high on the Alox was pretty high so I stayed with Pam today for a quick experiment. I took a box of 711B, pulled the tray out upside down so the bullets pointed up, lifted the tray so it masked the brass, gave the bullets a quick spray and left them to dry. Daylight ran out pretty quick and the 541T test rifle was new to me, so it has to be called inconclusive, but the groups did seem tighter with Pam.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BlauBear wrote:Shipping cost is cost is pretty high on the Alox was pretty high so I stayed with Pam today for a quick experiment. I took a box of 711B, pulled the tray out upside down so the bullets pointed up, lifted the tray so it masked the brass, gave the bullets a quick spray and left them to dry. Daylight ran out pretty quick and the 541T test rifle was new to me, so it has to be called inconclusive, but the groups did seem tighter with Pam.
Pam.. not only for cooking anymoer :-)

I'd be interested in seeing your results and if you feel the extra effort is really worth it or if it's only a preceived improvement.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I need more daylight for detailed testing and a predictable rifle for testing, so I will take another run at it. Prep is plenty easy and could be done in bulk very quickly. Probably do a brick in twenty minutes or less. I wouldn't do it routinely, but if you have a case of poorly lubed ammunition (like I do) or are forced to use bulk ammunition in a pinch, it's a handy trick.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: .22 lube

Post by BlauBear »

Go to do more testing today and 711B does shoot better with a little Pam, and it doesn't lead the barrel.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Just be sure whatever you use is low in saturated fats.....Can't have the barrel clogging up....nothing hydrogenated, either :lol:

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jneihouse wrote:Just be sure whatever you use is low in saturated fats.....Can't have the barrel clogging up....nothing hydrogenated, either :lol:

Kitty
:shock:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

jneihouse wrote:Just be sure whatever you use is low in saturated fats.....Can't have the barrel clogging up....nothing hydrogenated, either :lol:

Kitty
Angioplasty is much easier on a 1712 than it was on me... And patches are a damn sight cheaper than stents, too.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

A few other points and I'll let it go:

Use Pam, or at least check the ingredients since the generics are mostly water.

Cartridges feed and eject much easier with this treatment.

It just takes a little! You could probably line a coffee tub with a paper towel, toss in a box of cartridges, spray them, then layer on another towel with cartridges and Pam, and so on. I keep 'em separated so they don't get "bruised", but it probably doesn't matter. And there's no reason to think Pam works better or worse than regular bullet lube, it's just cheap, heat resistant and readily available.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Course, you could always spray the polishing media in your tumbler liberally with pam and tumble the bullets for a while....or dip them in butter and coat with powder sugar....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

jneihouse wrote:Course, you could always spray the polishing media in your tumbler liberally with pam and tumble the bullets for a while....or dip them in butter and coat with powder sugar....

Kitty
Then bake at 425 degrees until... :shock: