Fed & CCI Std Vel Ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Fed & CCI Std Vel Ammo

Post by Pete A. »

I fear I may have "hijacked' a thread on the classifed section so I thought I'd post over here.

Greg G. says, "This week I spoke with CCI about their standard velocity ammo and the difference I see in case size and bullet design between the paper and plastic box.
They told me that CCI standard velocity is manufactured both by CCI and Federal. The both use their own components and it is put into either the paper or plastic box. You can tell which is which by lot number starting with a letter is CCI and number is Federal.

I like federal."

I've used a few boxes he gave me & it gave amazingly similar performance to my beloved Fed 714. However from pic below it is clear the "plastic box' is different.

I did do a visual on the CCI Std Vel "paperbox' next to the 714 & it was a dead ringer. However I used it all up before I thought to take a pic. Will beg a box from GG so I can do this.

Also I got wound up in taking ammo pics and took a few more that I find interesting of common and less common Fed ammo. Here's 714 & the ubiquitious 711B (darn hard to see difference in pic though in my guns the 711b has the edge over 714)

Here's far less common but still great 900B & UM1B (note greater lube & sizing marks, & UM1B has about the coolest 22 box made).

Got a couple bricks of this vintage 'stuff' for the 'big' match.

Pete A.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Pete. There is no difference in the paper and plastic box as long as it is from the same lot.

The older CCI Standard Velocity was made in the same factory as the Federal and is basically the same.

Your picture looks to be comparing the newer CCI produced ammo. The "old" paperbox stuff is the same as the Federal. You can tell the difference because the older box is half grey and half blue. The new stuff is solid blue or half white and half blue.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

Like I said when I see Greg G. I'll beg/steal/snake/kipe some "paper box" to take pics for comparison.

All the paper box that I've seen don't have the dark gray bullets & thick wax like the plastic box CCI Std vel. It also did not fit as tight in my rifles chambers.

If you got a box please take a pic & post.

Pete A.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Old CCI paperbox with Federal 711B.

Kinda newer CCI paperbox (newest is solid blue) with the Old stuff.

Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

Thanks for the pics. Now we know. For the price they are asking for "paper box" either ammo is a good buy in this day & time.

Pete A.