Lube Block .22 LR Ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
GS1458
Unclassified Poster

Lube Block .22 LR Ammo

Post by GS1458 »

Does anyone make a lube block for re-lubing .22 LR bullets ?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Lube Block .22 LR Ammo

Post by BlauBear »

GS1458 wrote:Does anyone make a lube block for re-lubing .22 LR bullets ?
Sure - it's called Pam High Temperature spray. Pour them onto a paper towel, use a very light spray, and then wrap them in the paper towel for storage. Wrapping them like that helps distribute the spray and absorbs any excess. It isn't elegant or expensive, but the effect on Federal 711B and other dry ammunition is astonishing.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
GS1458
Unclassified Poster

Post by GS1458 »

Sorry, I didn't communiate well, I know about the PAM. I'm looking for a block of some kind with holes drilled in it, as thick as the .22 LR case. So I could put a 100 or so rounds in the block and then spray all 100 with PAM, so your just lubing the bullets.

I found sheet plastic .625 thick on-line and I could hole a 100 or so holes in it, I was just seeing if anyone knew of one already made.

I wonder how many I could sell if I made them ???? LOL

Thanks,
Gary
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I started off sliding the bullets out of the box upside down, and then sliding the holder up far enough to mask the cases so just the bullets got sprayed, and that was more trouble than it was worth. No doubt some of the more anal - er, purist - among is would like an effective mask but I'd rather get to the point where stuff goes bang.

It really takes very little lube to bring dry bullets around, especially once the barrel is seasoned (easy on the oregano, please). I don't use this much right now, but if things stay tight it's good to know.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
GS1458
Unclassified Poster

Post by GS1458 »

I found the block I was looking for: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/912 ... e-Products. I just have to finish drilling out the holes all the way to the bottom. Each block holds 100 rounds. I ordered 2, should have them finished by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Gary
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I just pop the tray with the holes in it out of old Eley or CCI ammo boxes. Stack about three of them over the rounds until just the bullets are sticking out and start spraying. I haven't seen any results that are "astonishing" but it has improved 711B and Automatch ability to hold better accuracy for longer.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Jason wrote:I haven't seen any results that are "astonishing" but it has improved 711B and Automatch ability to hold better accuracy for longer.
Some of us with dull lives are more easily astonished... x_x
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Jason, that is way too easy.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

i have tried the pam through a mkii, no decernable difference. tried alox bullet lube with outstanding and surprisingly well results.
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
Palma308
Unclassified Poster

Post by Palma308 »

A long long time ago in a far away.....never mind....I had built just such a board that would hold 50 rounds and the board was just thick enough to conceal the case while allowing the bullet to be exposed, I would then take a can of Ms.Moly aerosol and spray the bullets with a light coating of moly.I did this with 900,900B,711,711B and even tried it on high end Eley 10x or Lapua Midas and Ultra Match. I really cannot say if it really helped, but it did not seem to hurt. It was very time consuming however.Good ammo is good and bad is bad. You might succeed in making bad ammo a little less bad.....but never as good as good ammo.

A sidenote: I was shooting a smallbore prone Regional a very long time ago, and Lones Wigger was there shooting and as the Federal rep. During a break in the relays, he walked down the line and picked up spent casings to see what everyone was shooting. He picked up one of my spent casings and saw the small amount of moly overspray that had gotten on the case. He looked at me with an odd frown and with a genuine fatherly tone said "Son, you need to have a good gunsmith look at your Gun." He dropped the case and walked on down the line. I remember thinking to myself, what I really need is a couple of cases of Eley 10x in cardboard boxes, circa mid 70's and your HOLD!!!

Roy
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I can practice and improve. I can buy better gear and ammunition. But I can never sight in offhand.
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

BlauBear wrote:I can practice and improve. I can buy better gear and ammunition. But I can never sight in offhand.
I find my zero off the bench is different than my zero off hand, so i can't sight in off the bench, am i the only one?
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I can't lock on target to zero off hand, but I know people that can. Spooky. Like statues except for their trigger finger.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

slowstdy wrote:
BlauBear wrote:I can practice and improve. I can buy better gear and ammunition. But I can never sight in offhand.
I find my zero off the bench is different than my zero off hand, so i can't sight in off the bench, am i the only one?
Same here, but I get my true zero off the bench and then adjust accordingly to my off-hand zero. Do this by shooting at paper at the different distances to see where the POI is while shooting off hand.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

My bench zero is different from my offhand zero. Mallory's is too.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop