Lapua Scoremax

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Lapua Scoremax

Post by steve b. »

Hey all,

I happened across a small stash of Lapua Scoremax in my collection and decided to take it out for a spin on the silhouette course. After making corrections to my clicks, I found the ammunition to shoot rather well.

On the Turkey line, I got the impression that it carried the animals a little better, and seemed to drift in the wind more consistently. For those who have shot this, did you see the same?

For those who are unfamilar, it is a 48 grain bullet traveling around 1040 fps.

s.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Lapua Scoremax

Post by BlauBear »

48 grains?! Strong medicine for a 22lr!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Don't waste that on smallbore 1/5 scale animals! You don't need to carry the animals anymore than any standard velocity 22 ammo will. It should be used for the smallbore cowboy match. If you don't shoot that match, sell it to me and I'll use it for smallbore cowboy. :)
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by steve b. »

Ha, I already burned up the entire brick. I've never had a problem with knocking down the animals with good hits, but the preceived wind drift did catch my attention. Still, it may all be in my head since I was not shooting paper from the bench, so the human element was in full swing.

s.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

You must be rich. that stuff was 7-8 bucks abox of 50. such a waste of good ammo. I use it on coyotes around here.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by steve b. »

I'm not sure how silhouette practice is ever a waste of ammunition, and for yotes, a suppressed AR in .223 works much better. Out west longer shots on yotes is the norm.
Last edited by steve b. on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by steve b. »

Well,

At the risk of offending anyone else who is cost sensitive, I did shoot another brick of the new Federal Ultra Match in similar conditions, and the more I think about it, the more there may be very little difference between the two rounds in terms of drift. The UM did shoot very tight - good stuff.

I have a few more boxes of the Scoremax left, and I'm gonna run it with some R-50 and Eley Tenex, looking for any differences. My current competition ammunition is Lapua Midas +, the new stuff, and I was hoping to see if there would be an interest in some 48 grain bullets loaded to Midas + standards.

My only concern is that to run the machines, Lapua would have to make a half million rounds just to make setting up the machines worth it.

Oh well.

s.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

As far as I know they stopped making the scoremax ammo. Cant find it anywhere. I use the .22 scoremax on yotes here cuz its the way the laws here are. I hunt at night mostly and after dusk you can only shoot .22 RF no artificial lights either. during the daylite hours I use my .221 fire ball.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member