Ok! I am a fan!, but need some help.

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Pincheweddo
Unclassified Poster

Ok! I am a fan!, but need some help.

Post by Pincheweddo »

I use to shoot big bore when I was a teen and now (20+ years later) I found a local range that shoots small bore silhoutte. So I tried it out.

What a blast without the concusion! :D I never had to worry about the guy next to me shooting a 105 howitzer in a 14" barrel.

So I have a 39a and like the cowboy stuff and I am wondering what a good - affordable - available ammo would be to pursue my new hobby.

Any suggestions on ammo and locations to buy (online?) would be welcome and greatly apprieciated.

Pinche
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The ammo I shot my first master score in cowboy smallbore with last month was Federal Auto-Match available at Wal-Mart. I think it was around $10 for 325 rounds.
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Hey Pinche,

What part of the pinche country are you in?

If you are in pinche Kalifornia and would like to locate cheap ammo for use in Cowboy silhouette, look no further than the pinche Walmart and get your hands on some Winchester Dynapoints. Cheap and fairly accurate.
Joaquin B
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Jake

Post by dwl »

Orale Jake;

Do you mean W-mart in Kalifornia still has Winchester Dynapoints? Have you eyeballed it recently? The Wally's here ran out a year ago or more. If they've still got it then I need to make some calls.

dw
Pincheweddo
Unclassified Poster

Post by Pincheweddo »

Jake,

I currently live in Fort Worth, TX.

DWL is correct. Last time I heard about any dyna points my dad found abut 5000 rounds of it (at Walmart) in the small town he lives in about six months ago. Unfortunately he didn't buy it and returned the next day and it was gone.

I understand that most of the ammo used is sub sonic for .22 matches. Is that not a concern for Cowboy? Last time I was out I used CCI Silhouette and the old timers (meant with the utmost respect) told me to stear clear of that stuff.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Pincheweddo,

Have you tried Federal lighting? Has worked well for me and is avaliable at the walmarts in Mississippi.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I started out with using Wolf Match Target for my smallbore cowboy load, which is standard velocity and what I was using in my smallbore hunter class matches. I rang several rams and decided that I didn't need the 1/2moa better accuracy with that than I was getting versus the Federal Auto-match as much as I needed to actually be able to knock the rams down. Evidently, I was right as my scores have continued to increase even though I'm using the Automatch "bulk pack crap" as it was described the first time I brought it to the firing line. Evidently the problem was the shooter, not the gun or ammo. :)
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I shoot 5000-6000 rounds a year at Cowboy Silhouette with my 39a. Not master yet but strong AAA, it's my fault not the ammo!! I have always shot the Dynapoint but it is no longer available and I'm down to my last 5 boxes. I put a 20-power scope on my rifle and did some ammo testing,, 10-shot groups at 100 meters. I found the Federal Champion 510 shot just as well or better than the Dynapoint, as did the American Eagle. My rifle does not like Wolf for some reason. The Federal and the AE both shot 1 1/2 to 2" which is plenty good for what its for. The Federal Champion 510 is available at both Wallyworld and Kmart for $98.00 a case, I just ordered a case at Kmart. YMMV.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

CCI Standard Velocity

Post by fwt1712 »

We've had great results using CCI Standard Velocity (well at least that's what it's called here in Oz - it's CCIs basic target round). For A$235/5000 (about US$180) it's hard to fault. Most guys here in the club are using it - the only issue is that in an Anschutz 1712 (or someting with similar 'close' chamber) they can be a bit hard to close a bolt on, however for everything else they're fine. While not quite Eley, every time the crosshairs are on I see the target go down - plus at 1/3 the price you can do a lot of practice, which will more than make up a few parts of moa.