Eley Sport?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Eley Sport?

Post by Jetmugg »

Any impressions on this inexpensive ammo? A buddy of mine has been shooting it in his Anschutz 64 MPR rifle, and is quite pleased with it. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

I guess I just need to buy a few boxes to see how it shoots - at $1.50 per box, I can't go wrong.

SteveM.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Eley Sport

Post by Innocent »

I have found it to be remarkably accurate in my Win 52 remake. I use it in local matches.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I wish I could say that it was good. I won a case of it at Pe Ell a couple years ago. None of the guns I shot it in did very well with it. In fact, the bulk pack Federal Automatch shot better in all three rifles, and the Automatch isn't even standard velocity ammo. I ended up selling almost nine bricks of the stuff for $10 a brick just to clean out my ammo closet a little.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Try Eley Practice 100. S&K has been the standard, but the Eley Practice 100 seems comparable and with the price of S&K creeping up...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
nshane
Unclassified Poster

Post by nshane »

Not to revive an old post but I've been shooting the Eley Sport for about three months now and much like jetmugg's buddies 64MSR my Match 64 loves it, as does my Marlin Model 60.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I like it... Here's the link to the thread where it was discussed previously:
http://www.steelchickens.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=878
nshane
Unclassified Poster

Eley Sport Update

Post by nshane »

I bought another brick of the Eley Sport to give it a really thorough testing in my Ans. Match 64. All shots fired from sandbags with wind breaks on either side of my shooting lane.

At 25yds* it made one hole groups. Three and five shots per group. This could be good 50ft. practice ammo

At 50yds* it started to open up but stayed well under .5inch. Three and five shots per group. Could also be good 50m ammo...

At 75yds* it started to no longer be fun and interesting and just sucked. Groups were a over .75in for three shot and consistently over 1inch for five shot groups.

At 100yds* I discovered why my scores start good with chickens and get worse as I move farther out. Groups close to 2inches.

I checked the bore after shooting at each distance. Never really got dirty dirty but started to notice a buildup of crud at the crown after about 150 rounds. This brick seemed to be a little more heavily lubed than the last.

I'll be trying the rest out in my Marlin Model 60 to see what happens. For reasons I'll never be able to understand my Marlin and Annie both shoot similar groups with the same ammo, the Marlin just shoots them a little faster and slightly larger.

Oddly enough I can consistently hit the little NRA chicken at 100yds from the bench. When shooting paper the groups were terrible. I guess punching paper for so many years I just get bored with it. Watching the little animals ping and fall is so much more fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been a highly unscientific study performed by nshane. YMMV.

(*) My range does not shoot NRA matches. We shoot on the IHMSA targets at their respective distances with rifles and pistols from all positions. I'm trying to get them to get some NRA targets for next season...and to get the rifle guys to stop shooting off benches. How fun is it to shoot a perfect score all the time?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I plan to get a brick of it to try for the price. Just got a case of CCI Blazer for practicing around the house for $95 from Sportsman's Guide that should give me a good bit of trigger time. Its fairly good shooting in my CZ even though its over 1200 fps. For that price I had to grab a case.

If the Eley sport shoots decently I will probably pick up a case of it as well. The CCI Standards in papaer box grouped well but I want to try the Eley before deciding which to buy a case of.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I've personally had very good luck with the Eley Sport in most of my 22s. It shoots about as well as Wolf/SK at all distances except 100y/100m, and only opens up the slightest amount (less than 1/4") at the 100 in a couple guns. Only my Ruger 77/22 won't accept it as a lower cost substitute for Wolf/SK. Everything else I have that likes the Wolf/SK seems to shoot just fine with the Eley Sport.

However there are some folks that haven't seen the same results and, as such, I wouldn't invest in a case of it until I tried a few boxes, or even a brick.

-Tim
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by NewAZShooter »

After reading this thread the next time I went on an ammo run I bought several boxes of Eley Sport to try out, just in case it shoots as well as the other stuff in any of my firearms. So far I have only tried it out in my 10/22. I also grouped Lapua Master M and Wolf M/T while I was at it (shooting the .22s while the HP barrel cools has become my standard M.O. on while load testing. Yesterday I set up at the 40m chicken line to test it.

Oh, not to cross threads here, but I also weight sorted the Eley Sport before heading to the range. My .22 test targets have 8 USBR practice bulls on each 8.5 x 11 sheet I print off at home. So I fired 4 ten-shot and 4 5-shot groups off the bags for each of these brands. I "cleaned" the barrel with a single pass of one of those bore-snakes, then fouled it to get the lube into the barrel by sighting off the bag 10 rounds then practicing offhand another 15 rounds. So 25 rounds down the barrel and then the group shooting began. Then on to the next ammo same method starting with the bore snake.

Lapua Master M 10-shot groups were from .430 to .993 for an average of .773 inches. 5-shot groups were from .448 to .726 averaging .594.

Wolf M/T 10-shot groups were .787 to .839 averaging .809. 5-shot groups were from .618 to .894 averaging .698.

Eley Sport 10-shot groups came in at 1.108 to 1.730 averaging 1.407. 5-shot groups were from .763 to 1.084 and averaged .935. Not too great at 40m.

So I know my 10/22 doesn't like Eley Sport, but I still have several other .22s to try it in. Needless to say, Steve, my first impressions of Eley Sport are not great. But in fairness, the Wolf is twice as expensive and the Lapua 4 times as much and they each shoot incrementally tighter groups. So you get what you pay for.
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

FYI, Eley Sport is made by Aguilla in Mexico.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I'm shooting it for our indoor league and at 50' you can't beat it for the price, but it chambers hard in my Anschutz's. We do have several folks shooting it at our Silhouette matches as well. I have been using SK Rifle Match for a few years now.. but I see that too just went up to $500 a case :shock: and even the SK Std Plus is now $375 a case :shock: :shock: , man what's it going to be at next year. Some of the guys on the Rimefire forum are talking about dealers saying there is going to be another 20% increase after the first of the year.

Going to have to take out a second mortage to get more ammo, seeing it's value is going up faster then my 401K :D
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

A couple of weeks ago Champions Shooters Supply had SK Standard Plus for 290.00 a case with the warning that after the first of the year it was going to jump 30%. I checked the site today and it is 370.00. I guess there calendar is off from mine or the thought crossed their minds that if the shooters want it, they will pay for it.
tulsatime
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Practice

Post by tulsatime »

I have been able to shoot it at the chickens fairly well...past that it gets a bit to iffy (ram grouping was over 5 inches). But its one heck of a price tag for Eley 22 ammo. I am sticking to the Eley Club Extra or Silhouette. (I am shooting a CZ 452 Silhouette.)
Tulsatime
bjd
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bjd »

I use CCI Standard Velocity to practice Smallbore Silhouette and the Wolf MT for matches. how does Eley sport compare to CCI Standard Velocity?