Eley "Practice"

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Eley "Practice"

Post by chuck d »

I picked up a few boxes of this locally, as it was $4.00/50. Shot well at 40 and decent at 100. Any one using or have any experience with it?
thanks
chuck
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Eley "Practice"

Post by jdp »

Does this have a round tip bullet or the eps? I have a couple of cases of "practice 100" that is downgraded tenex. EPS bullet, 1072fps. Mine will shoot sub moa @100 yards. Do the boxes look like this?

John Peterson
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

Yes that's it. Has round nose. So its good stuff?
thanks
chuck
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

I don't know all of mine has the EPS bullet. The same that is in Tenex and Match. When bought it was said that it was downgraded tenex. Eley Target replaced: Eley Target Pistol, Target Rifle, Standard, Standard Pistol, and Practice 100, all of which are no longer available and were round nose. So what you have is probably equal to Eley Target. Which is great at $4.00 a box. While mine is probably equal to Eley Team EPS because of the different bullet. I would buy all I could and separate it into like lot #'s and use accordingly. It is good ammo.
John Peterson
chuck d
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuck d »

Thanks for the info, John.
when back and bought the 5 bricks they had. even they said, why are we selling this so cheap!
chuck
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Shoot Hambone a pm. He uses this stuff all the time, Im sure he could tell ya how it performs in more than one rifle too.
Baby Huey
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The down grade stuff has the velocity printed on the end of the box. If it doesn't have that it isn't downgrade stuff.

I think they quit making any of the white box.
hambone49
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Location: In memory of Tbone, I moved into his house in Hollywood, Florida

Post by hambone49 »

I first bought this downgraded tenex from Cathy when it was in those baby blue pistol match boxes in 08. It shot way too good for Sil so I used it in prone, even in matches. At Winny in 09 she had some more in the white box so I bought 4 more cases in 1051, not quite as great as the blue but still good, Byron and I both used it at Ridgway last year. That's the last I've seen of it, and always hope she gets some more. I'm down to the last case. She sold it for 500 per.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Downgraded Eley is always good value! At $500 a case it does cost real money, but it's still cheap enough for practice and good enough for matches.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
siloet56
B Poster
B Poster

Post by siloet56 »

I have 2 cases of the same lot number...Many years ago Tom Volquartsen rebarreled my 54ms with a 18 in. hart SS. He made a reamer for it after measuring several rds.... He took an average before maching the reamer.. This stuff fits real tight.. I cant eject an unfired round so I keep a dental pick with me on the line just incase I dont have time to shoot the last round. But wow does this stuff shoot.. I let a bench rest buddy of mine test it (my bench skills are marginal at best). He said this rifle with the practice 100 shoots the size of a dime all day long.. I refused to sell. hehehehe. But my factory 54ms does not like it at all.. 1 1/2 at 100 at best.. Interesting.. good luck Mike from Michigan