Aquila Match vs Wolf Match Target

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
ron
B Poster
B Poster

Aquila Match vs Wolf Match Target

Post by ron »

I have been absent from the shooting sports for 20 years (IMHSA). My plan is to shoot my Browning Silhouette production and Anschutz 14" at sb steel.
Looking at reviews of ammo (didn't have the internet before...what a great thing for researching and reaching out to shooters), I read good things about Wolf Match and a great test write-up on Aquila.
However, at Midways product reviews, some guys complained of jams with the Wolf ammo. That pushes me towards the Aquila.
Any comments with this thinking? Or, other suggestions?
I don't mind spending a few bucks, but not the 30 cents a round stuff.
JCalhoun
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Aquila Match vs Wolf Match Target

Post by JCalhoun »

I would suggest that you buy both and some other brands of the same ilk to test. Rimfires can be pretty particular about what they like.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I liked Aquila for the price, but for me and my rifles it never chanmbered very well in a tight chamber unless you wiped every bullet off ~x( Never had that problem with Lapua, SK Jagd, Eley or RWS products. Some of the guys here were getting it from the CMP, but the last batch they got would not group very well at all.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

A lot of my Mexican friends that do not have access to good ammo use Aguila SV or Match with success the only thing I would recommend to you is that you find a way to add lubrication to the ammunition if you do not want it to lead your barrel.
ron
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ron »

Good advice, guys. I have ordered;
Eley Tenex Pistol
Fereral prem Gold Metal
SK Rifle Match
Wolf Match Target
Aquila Match Rifle

Now to mount up a scope and test fire for groups. Hopefully, both guns will like the same ammo.

I'm looking forward to sorting out sight settings and joining in on silhouette shoots at Wilkes-Barre.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

at one time i loved the aguila match as it printed on paper the same POI as wolf at 50 and 100 yards - slightly higher at 200yards at half the price. groups were just slightly larger than that of the wolf at 100 and 200, at 50 yards you couldn't measure the difference.

through a chrony and 20" barrel the wolf mt and extra ranged between 995 and 1015fps, the aguila between 1025 and 1040.

i had 2 bad bricks of the aguila - FTEs, FTFs, and the ones that did fire were all over the paper - even after a weight sort. some rim thickness measuring showed that the rims were very thin in relation to the wolf and the aguilas that did fire.

i tried to contact the company that imports tha ammo from mexico, no response. not even a "tough poop" email. that gave me a bad taste, and getting ready to make a bulk purchase, i didn't want to risk it. it may have been a fluke thing, but im not willing to chance a case or two of stuff that doesn't go bang or remains in the chamber. plus the customer service stunk.

as i see the oppurtunity for a shameless promotion, come up to FSC for a match or two, your somewhat local
http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... f=9&t=5158
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."
gcsniper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gcsniper »

I use the rifle match and am happy with it. Shot .24" 5 shot groups at 40mtrs and .37 at 77 mtrs last week when zeroing a new rifle.
ron
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ron »

I have settled on Eley Tenex Pistol for the 2 handguns.
I have since pushased a CZ 452 .22lr and conducted ammo test for it.
Wolf ME was terrible at throwing fliers. Fairly tight groups, and then the flier.
I have settled on Eley Team for the rifle at this point and will test it in the pistols with hopes of bring the ammo costs down from Tenex.
Wolf doesn't cut it.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I just got a brick of the Mexican Eley. I have only tried it at 40m because of the wind. I shot 5-5shot groups with my 54 and 2-5shot groups with my hunter 10-22. The average of the 6 groups was right at one minute. As soon as the wind dies down I will do some 100m tests. It groups great in my plywood stocked hunter 10-22 (lizzard gun) which is what I bought the stuff for.

I am trying my best to get another guy here in Casa Grande interested. He shot my heavy (standard) gun last weekend and loved it but thought the gun was too heavy so I dug out my old hunter gun for him to use. I can't afford to let him shoot all my good downgraded Eley blue box.
Baja_Traveler
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I'd take the suggestion and get a little of everything and try it. Not the same rifle - but my 39a just hates plain lead ammo. Doesn't matter who made it. I found just by accident that it absolutely loves the Aguila Super Extra copper clad when someone at the range gave me 10 rounds to try.
steve b.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by steve b. »

Give SK Standard Plus a try, it should work ok for you. Aguila's biggest problem is lot to lot consistency - they are horrible at it.

CCI Standard Velocity is ok to practice with, but it has too much velocity deviation out past 75 yard. I have seen it develop too much vertical stringing at the ram line. Most shooters brush off the " over the back" or "through the window" on conditions, hold or whatever, when infact their ammunitions isdropping shipts low or kicking them up too high. If there is an error, it tends to be low.

s.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I cannot believe that anyone shooting any type of precision shooting game with a 1000.00 - 2500.00 rifle would consider using ammo made in a sxxxhole third world country like mexico, you ever been to any city or seen pictures of mexico? There are a few American companies that have products assembled there like Ford and John Deere {one should be suspicious by the way} but ammunition? No way Jose, I'm not putting that crap in my Anschutz or Remington for crying out loud. Other than Tequila they can keep everything made there.
Last edited by kevinbear on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
steveyacht
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steveyacht »

kevinbear wrote:I cannot believe that anyone shooting any type of precision shooting game with a 1000.00 - 2500.00 rifle would consider using ammo made in a sxxxhole third world country like mexico........
Kinda like putting used tires on your Mercedes........ actually saw that the other day. LOL

Now, Don Julio 1942 is one thing that comes from Mexico that I find quite acceptable!
Steve
Just happy to be here
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
US Army Veteran
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

The irony in my post last night is that the friggin game was imported from mehico!!!!!! =))
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

[quote="steveyacht"][quote="kevinbear"]I cannot believe that anyone shooting any type of precision shooting game with a 1000.00 - 2500.00 rifle would consider using ammo made in a sxxxhole third world country like mexico........[/quote]

Kinda like putting used tires on your Mercedes........ actually saw that the other day. LOL

Now, Don Julio 1942 is one thing that comes from Mexico that I find quite acceptable![/quote]

I was thinking more like this analogy; A guy drives into Grease monkey for an oil change and says, hey I'm trying to save a few bucks on oil today because I want to drive this really nice Mercedes alot of miles, got any of that remanufactured oil or something made in a third world country that's cheap?
Consider this, I shoot at most about a case of ammunition a year, I don't know if that's about average or not but for the sake of this discussion let's say it is. Aguila match is 332.00 a case, Sk standard is as good if not better and it sells for 488.00 a case every day of the week at Midway, that's a whopping 156.00 difference, spread that out over an entire year that's 3.00 a week. Skip Starbucks one day a week and you've got it covered.
Kev