Ammo trials about to start!

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Ammo trials about to start!

Post by Sophia »

I'm getting closer! After much angst, I've ordered a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x-40mm that is on its way as I type this. And this morning's UPS delivery left a large carton on my doorstep that contained a fair selection of ammo for my first real trials.

I was a bit miffed when first I opened the carton as I discovered about 150 loose rounds rolling around amongst the styrofoam peanuts. Turned out several boxes had broken open from rattling around in the oversize carton, though only three had spilled their contents. I calmed myself when I figured out the cartridges were not as anonymous as I feared -- sorting them back into their proper boxes was fairly easy.

So by next week I should have my Anschutz 64 MS properly scoped and on the range for her first "serious" ammo trials. I'm guessing the way to do this is to bench the rifle and see which type of ammo produces the smallest group. I'll be happy to post results if anyone is interested. I'll be using:

- Remington standard velocity target
- CCI Select
- CCI Green Tag
- Fiocchi Biathlon SM340
- Lapua Master L
- Lapua Master M
- Eley Biathlon Sport
- Eley Biathlon EPS
- Eley Match EPS
- EleySilhouex
- Eley Club Xtra
- Eley Practice 100
- Eley Standard

At what range do you guys usually test ammo for group size? 100 meters?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Sophia,

100 meters is were I do mine, if it won't shoot a MOA at 100 meters why waste my time. Good luck and enjoy this it the time when you and your gun get to know each other the courtship period.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

100 meters is the REAL test, but if the wind is blowing, I use less to attempt to take my lack of wind savy out of the picture.

Try shooting very early in the morning.

:lol:
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Let me guess...the broken boxes were Eley. Why can't they package this stuff?
Yes, test at 100 meters. If the wind is blowing over a very little, you're wasting your time as far as testing group sizes. A ribbon on a stick for a wind flag (or two) will teach you some interesting things.
Shooting well from a bench is a difficult skill, lots harder than it looks. Few of us do it well. I don't. Everything the same every time is the key...position of the rifle on the bags, how you hold it, how you break the trigger (remember to follow through.) Takes lots of practice.
Try Wolf/SK. You'll have a chance of getting really good-shooting ammo at a good price.
Finally, try to test ammo that has a quantity of THE SAME LOT available. Don't be surprised if different lots group differently.
Remember to have fun.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sophia »

Yep - there were four boxes of Eley popped open. Only two had actually spilled. Fortunately, they were both of the same type and the third spilled box was CCI so the headstamps were enough to sort them out.

I've read the thread on SK Standard and decided it would certainly be worth a go. But I have thus far been unable to find any. Do you guys get it off a web site? If so, which one?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

You can get the SK here:

http://www.championshooters.com/start.html

Or you could just buy the Wolf. It's the same stuff.
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

Some things to keep in mind.

The lube on the bullets does matter. When you go from one manufacturer to another you should expect to see a change in point of impact- and this will be shifting as the bore is "conditoned" to the new lube. I would suggest firing 10 shots of the new ammo before shooting your "official" groups.

Bring a thermometer and record the temp. In my limited experience the Eley biathalon does shoot better at colder temps than the other Eley ammunitions.
What I do not know is at what temp it actually changes, though I suspect it is about 45 to 50 degrees. I also do not know how the biathalon shoots in warm weather.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

ammo

Post by ppkny »

Sophia,
Don't over think this ammo thing. The variables when you are testing are compounded by when you test. If you can't repeat a given test you are spinning your wheels. After you fire about five of the different ammos you bought put the one that shot the best back in and see if you can repeat it.
I think you have selected to many ammo choices especially the Eley brands.
You get what you pay for from $2.50 to $10.00 and higher. Sure the gun will like a few better than an other. Find one that you can afford that shoots good and go for it.
Remember, there are 20 points in chickens and pigs.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

ammo test

Post by Jerry G »

When you shoot off the bags;

1. Place the front bag quite far back on the forestock and place it at the same spot every time. Usr the screw adjustment on the front bag to center on your target.

2. Let the butt of the rifle rest on the back bag and squeeze it with your left hand for very small adjustments. Make big adjustments with the front bag.

3. Hold the stock the same for every shot and don't forget to follow-through.

4. Don't touch the barrel when you shoot.

5. Watch your wind flags when you shoot. The close one affects your bullet the most.

I would guess a bench rest shooter could tell you lots more but that's not me. Good luck.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Sophia,

I can not wait to see the results of your testing. Yesterday, I tested various ammos, but, their was a mild wind. The results were fairly conclusive and I will post them after you do your test. No biasing by reading my results on this thread.

CCI - standard (just to see)
Eley - club-xtra, silhoux, target rifle, match eds
Lapua - standard, master m, master L
rws - dynapoint match
federal - gold medal match
Fiochi - super match

After each ammo type I ran a dry patch through the barrel, Then shot 5 to recondition the barrel. The first couple would fly, then the next 3 would settle in. If the conditioning required 5 more shots, okay. If the next five were scattered then I attributed it to my 64 msr not liking the ammo.

Also, elevation changes where fairly consistant with each other with the exception of the federal gold medal and eley match eds.

I still have a few more to test, one is the wolf match, another is the aquila sss 60 plus a couple more.

My bench technique is terrible and I was shoting off of a 6 x 6 covered in carpet. The test was for consistancy more than a test of my bench skills. If the rifle put the ammo all in the same place (1/2 to 3/4 inch at 100 yrds), I was satisfied with that ammo's performance.

One last comment, I was finishing up at around 5:00 pm with the sun to my back. The last shots of the day were with Eley Match EDS and I could follow the bullet all the way to the paper. It was amazing. The bullet would rise into the peripheral vision of the scope and arc to the paper. This happened fast obviously, but, first there was only one hole and, wam, another appears right were the arc was leading right next to the first hole.
tim
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sophia »

The last shots of the day were with Eley Match EDS and I could follow the bullet all the way to the paper. It was amazing. The bullet would rise into the peripheral vision of the scope and arc to the paper. This happened fast obviously, but, first there was only one hole and, wam, another appears right were the arc was leading right next to the first hole.
This surprised me too. At first, I thought I was seeing debris flying from the back of the target, then I realized I was seeing the streak before the hole appeared in the paper, and not after. Pretty nifty!
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Sophie,

Glad you had the same experience. I was worried that I was seeing things after a long day at the range. Which was excellent.

Here is a picture of the targets that shot the best two ammo's for my gun.

This is eley target rifle. I was playing around with the idea of using this on chickens and pigs then switching to the match eps for turkeys and rams. A really great person at Brunos talked me out that idea. His advise, be consistant in the ammo you use.

This is the target for match eps. The first shot was the shot after I ran a patch through the barrel. The second is in the ring, Then three strung together. I really liked the Match EPS. These shots where in a mild breeze (3 MOA windage).
tim
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Wait until you're spotting another shooter in HP and you see those bullets dropping out of the stratosphere at the 500 meter ram.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

group size

Post by Jerry G »

to get a group size, measure out to out on the holes that are the farthest apart and then subtract the bullet diameter. The groups you have shown in the photos don't look to be 1/2" but I could be mistaken.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

Jerry,

If you discount the fact that the shot in the red is the second bullet through the barrel after running a couple patches through the barrel, the 3 shot group is 1/2 moa. With that said, the results are around 1 moa. Maybe a little less.

I was thrilled with the 3 shot group. Especally sence I am not a very good shot, yet :)

Shot my qualifying round this weekend. Made A by 1 shot. Got the last two turkeys to make it. 8)
tim