Need clean LRN High-Vel for practice - recommendations?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Need clean LRN High-Vel for practice - recommendations?

Post by gunbits »

I need a High-Vel for pistol silhouette. What's clean and reasonably accurate?
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

I hate to see posts go unanswered even if I don't know anything so here goes.
What do you mean by "clean." Shooting a self-loader? If you're talking about how the barrel looks when you're through I would just stop looking down the barrel.
Federal Lightning gets rave reviews as cheap, HV accuracy ammunition in rifles so you might try that. Winchester PowerPoint also has a great accuracy reputation, again, in rifles. It's a 40 gr HP developed in Australia for shooting rabbits.
It all boils down to what your pistola likes but you might start with those. Good luck and good shooting.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gunbits »

Gotcha - well, by clean I meant the action. I shot a bit of Federal 711B type stuff and I had to clean the actions every couple hundred rounds to get the bolt to close. Then some of the stuff out there has so much lube on it that I can hardly get it in the chamber.

I found CCI had some stuff called Silhouette intended for knock the Rams over.

I'm not real keen on any of the Remington/Winchester stuff - I've never had good reliability with iginition. I either have soft firing pins or they have hard brass.

Post by Guest »

Gunbits, I used to shoot a good bit of Pistol silhouette. Tell me two things what gun are you using and what are you shooting IHMSA or NRA and if NRA is it smallbore or Hunters Pistol. Then I can better help you. Bill R
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gunbits »

I'm shooting Exemplars in both IHMSA & NRA (both SB & HP). Basically, everything :)

I want Solids, something around 1200 fps (High Vel), relatively clean and fairly accurate.

Post by Guest »

Iv'e owned more than a few of the exemplar's and quite a few TC's they are both excellent guns. The older exemplars had better triggers...at least they where easier to adjust I think. Don't worry about the lube it is not a problem with the exemplar. Just keep the action clean and a slight coating of oil on the bolt and keep it on the side locking surface so it doesn't become worn to quickly. If you have the money try Eley EPS...in the pistol I would try the HV version which is still a lower veolocity than you think you need. I think it normally runs around1120-1140 fps. If you don't want to spend as much you could try RWS target it is an excellent middle of the price range ammo. Buy the best you can afford and use it all the time even in practice. Why?... because with pistols recoil is everything and the gun will move differently causing a different impact with different velocity ammos. You should try to stay with sub sonic ammo and test it at 100 meters with your gun on bags. Test the ammo not you. If you think you need a faster ammo for NRA Rams in H.P. then test it first to make sure on actual animals and find an ammo that works but I wouldn't use High velocity ammo all the time it is no where near as accurate.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gunbits »

Interesting. I'm using the RWS for matches but I'm only getting 50-75% knock-downs on the Rams. This week, I even had four Pigs that were hit so square, they simply scooted back on the rail but failed to fall over. I switched to some borrowed HiVel and the problem stopped.

I admit, you're probably correct about how the pistol will fire differently with HV but solid hits that fail to make the point are more than disappointing, they're aggravating! I'm open to using Standards for Chick/Pig/Turk and switching to HV for Ram....

Well, first and foremost, I'm looking for something to practice with. I'm going to try and track down some of the CCI first... and I'm open to lots of suggestions. Thanks for the info so far! Keep it coming...
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The CCI Silhouette is just Mini-Mag solids that were lot-selected for a little better accuracy and fewer fliers, according to CCI. I tried them in my cowboy rifles (same targets as pistol, but more barrel length) and didn't notice any improvement in accuracy between them and the Mini-mag solids with ten groups of five shots each with each ammo and each rifle. My practice ammo for those rifles and occasionally my match ammo for them and my Contender is the Federal Automatch. It comes in a bulk pack($10 per 325-pack at Wal-Mart), of all things, and I just sort them into the old CCI boxes and let fly. I even tried them in my CZ 452 scoped rifle with the 24X Sightron on it, as it's currently my most accurate smallbore rifle. They shot groups as good as Wolf Match Target and Match Extra out to the pigs (60m), only slight worse at turkeys (77m), but much worse at rams (2" groups or more at 100m). That's a lot better than anything else in that price range, and I've tried more than 15 types of HV ammo in each gun now.

I started looking for something higher velocity after ringing rams with my cowboy lever gun using target velocity ammo, so I know your pain here. I still want to try the Eley HV stuff, but I haven't had an order to piggyback that onto from a vendor that stocked it yet and I don't want to pay more in shipping than I do for the ammo until I know it shoots well in my guns.