Lube on Target ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Lube on Target ammo

Post by glen ring »

I have purchased some of the expensive target ammo and noticed that some brands are oily and have a large amount of some kind of lube. They function flawlessly in all my .22s.

I recently purchased a large amount of cheap ammo to plink with and found that it was not functioning 100% of the time in my weapons. I took PAM and LIGHTLY sprayed the inside of a bag and placed a handful of the cheap ammo in the bag. The ammo came out shiney and has performed flawlessly. Corny I know , but it worked for me.
Masterhandgunner
Unclassified Poster

lube on target bullets

Post by Masterhandgunner »

Pam. Are you serious! Never tried this one but since reading your post on the subject, I've had my wife add Pam to the WM shopping list. I've got a few bricks of American made Federal Champion lead nose high-vel ammo that shoots very well without much lube, but it does lead the barrel of my TC Contender pistol after a couple of hundred rounds have been fired through the barrel. I'll try your suggestion of using Pam to add some lube.
Now just exactly how do you lube the lead bullet of yur rounds and not get it all over the brass? Does the stuff get all over your barrel's chamber if you get it all over the brass too?
masterhandgunner
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

bullet "lube"

Post by glen ring »

I only use a very small amount of "lube" and it does get everything shiny. The cheap stuff seems to work better now and I can't find my pistols getting any dirtier but they do cycle better. I'm just a tightwad trying to make the cheap ammo go bang.

I know it's corny, but i purchased some of the expensive .22 ammo and it was very slick and had lots of lube but worked very well in my pistols. I just tried to make the cheap stuff work too.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

Save one of your 50 round boxes of ammo and put your new ammo in the plastic "holder" hold the ammo up and just spray the bullet end this way the brass and your fingers dont get oily. I've done the same thing with some graphite spray lube as a experiment, dont think the graphite helped but the pam sounds like it might be worth a try.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Hmm.. I bet my Hornady spray case lube might work, too. I ain't trying this in my Anschutz, but I just might try it in the CZ.. :lol:
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

I forgot to ask, when the bullit goes bang do you get the aroma of chicken frying in the pan or just the primer smell? :mrgreen:
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Pam Lube

Post by glen ring »

My wife thought I should get the bacon flavored Pam so I could have the best of both worlds. Bang! Bacon! Seriously, it does seem to help the functioning of my buckmarks and my Marlin 39. I'm going to shoot it this way for a while before I run any in my Kimber.