Eley Super Silhouex

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Eley Super Silhouex

Post by papabear »

Is the new Eley Super Silhouex legal for SB?

It is advertised at 1200 fps.

Is this considered high velocity/stinger?

Just checking because my SW 41 pistol likes it for pistol silhouette and I might use it for Rifle as well.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

At our local matches, it would definitely be legal. Starting out at that speed, though, it will go subsonic before it gets to rams and is going to have pretty crappy ballistics as it makes the transition.
Last edited by Jason on Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

eley

Post by Jerry G »

It should behave about like the old fast Federal ammo. It goes subsonic at about 50m but the old Federal was OK on the rams. At 1200 fps it's not stinger speed and is legal. I think it is the same stuff as the high speed Black Box with a different label.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Out of curiosity - is it 1200 fps out of a rifle barrel or a pistol barrel? I'd wonder if it's supersonic out of a 5" barrel?
ImageImage
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

FWIW....Tried some between a few shooters, did not shoot well for any of us. (rifle)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

This does not sound like good news, but I like the old Silhouex so I'll try it. What happened to the Eley Practice 100? Is it due for rebirth as Super Practice 100?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Practice 100 is the same as brown box and yellow box. They were just different lots. Eley has discontinued P100. Buy some brown and let us know how it went.
- Joe
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

edgehit wrote:Practice 100 is the same as brown box and yellow box. They were just different lots. Eley has discontinued P100. Buy some brown and let us know how it went.
I did, tried about 5 lots of it back some time ago. Was not worth the price IMO.... In that price range, there are many choices...
Image Chicken George
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Midway now lists Eley Practice USA as "available soon", so that's probably the replacement for Practice 100.

On the main forum there was just a debate over high velocity ammunition, and there was some opposition from local clubs. I'm fine with high velocity ammunition and doubt that it damages targets, but if a local club anywhere has banned it, I'm not going to site in or practice with it and risk getting to a match where it's not allowed. For that reason I won't use the Eley Super Silhouex or any other high velocity ammunition.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Hmmm...

According to Midway, Super Silhouex is only 1085fps which, if true, is very good news. I ordered a brick and if it is 1200 fps the sonic crack will give it away.
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

I've got one box left from the brick I bought a while back. It says 1200 ft/sec right on the box. I found it to shoot very well. Groups at 100 yards from my 1712 were less than an inch. I've switched to SK Standard Plus however because it also shoots very well and is about half the price.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Not good. Really don't want to use ammunition that fast.