Aquila .22 Super Extra [SV] for 452 American

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Aquila .22 Super Extra [SV] for 452 American

Post by teetertotter »

Does anyone have experience with Aquila SV in their 452/455 American? Or Aquila Match Rifle? I wanted to get an idea before I bought and tested or decide.

I have been using CCI-SV with no lube qualities and leads up my barrel and have to clean after a brick or less to maintain accuracy. I don't want to go through having to add a lubricant either, unless I can be convinced.

I picked both Aquila's as is in my price range. I'm open to suggestions and fishing.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
1stlttightwad
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Aquila .22 Super Extra [SV] for 452 American

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Teeter, good to see you online..Personally I never have gone more than 200-250 rounds without a good cleaning..If the CCI-SV is giving you good accuracy you might try beeswax..Eley uses it. Take some beeswax and let it warm up to room temperature, rub your thumb and first finger across it to get a wee bit and then spin it with your other thumb..That will impart just the right amount to the head. At any rate the wax is a whole lot cheaper. I am surprised that it has taken 3 days for someone to answer you. Oh well. Dave Deo Vindice
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Thanks Dave, one of our club members gave me 2 boxes of Aquila Super Xtra SV at our monthly club meeting tonight. I will give it a try next week. I just don't want to mess around and time in applying a lubricant. If the Super Xtra is not as good as the CCI SV, then will buy a couple boxes of their Match Rifle. I pull thru a brass wire brush 3 times and 3 dry patches for cleaning when accuracy falls off for another 300+ rounds. Then around 3 bricks, I use the Shooters Choice Treatment on the CCI SV.
Real match grade is to expensive for my budget and go to the one match every week. This year, I might practice at the range 2 times a week, besides regular Thurs. eve match. Anyway, thank you for your comment. Jon
Daddio!
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Daddio! »

Hi John,

I just obtained 4 bricks of Aguila SE through CMP. I've been using it for Rimfire Sporter practice and it shoots okay. Accuracy wise I think it's very similar to CCI SV. The Aguila SE is what I was shooting at the last monthly match at Beloit. But don't base your decision whether or not to buy the Aguila on my crummy score. Trust me, it was the shooter and not the ammo. :lol: I hope to see you at the next monthly match up at Beloit.

Dave, good to see you posting over here. Patrick N over on Rimfire Shooting
"Of all of the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Thanks Pat, If just as good as CCI-SV for accuracy, I have some hope for cost effective lubricated ammo. You have put me in the mood to try the SE this weekend. The 2 boxes of the SE came from Dennis, who I learned went in with Larry last year to buy at CMP. I have 7 bricks of the CCI right now and will switch right away if the SE works. Thanks for some hope. :ymbringiton:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

teetertotter wrote:Thanks Pat, If just as good as CCI-SV for accuracy, I have some hope for cost effective lubricated ammo. You have put me in the mood to try the SE this weekend. The 2 boxes of the SE came from Dennis, who I learned went in with Larry last year to buy at CMP. I have 7 bricks of the CCI right now and will switch right away if the SE works. Thanks for some hope. :ymbringiton:
Some of the guys here bought some from the CMP and their first case shot great, however when they ordered more it was not very good at the turkey and rams and did not group nearly as good as the first batch. But every gun likes different things so it may work well all the time in yours as YMMV. Send a note to PPKNY and he can tell you what they found and since then he only uses SK Plus.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I went to the CMP site and see it is the Centurion name and wonder if the same quality as Aquila name. Velocity is 1135fps.
I did order 2 boxes of the Match Rifle yesterday and is 1080fps. with MidwayUSA. Pricey but supports NRA and can depend on fast shipping with total of $21.00 to try out.

Thanks Bob259.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

teetertotter wrote:I went to the CMP site and see it is the Centurion name and wonder if the same quality as Aquila name. Velocity is 1135fps.
I did order 2 boxes of the Match Rifle yesterday and is 1080fps. with MidwayUSA. Pricey but supports NRA and can depend on fast shipping with total of $21.00 to try out.

Thanks Bob259.
Centurion is the US importer.
http://www.aguilaammo.com/
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Just checked on the CMP site to make sure, but about three years ago I bought several cases of the SE and Aguila Golden Eagle match from the CMP. The ammo they are selling now has the same ID #'s as what I bought, so I believe it's the same.
I don't have a CZ. But I fired both the SE and match in several of my 22's and I was a lot more satisfied with the SE (listed at 1135fps). The match (1200 fps) grouped ok in one of the five or six rifles I've shot in it and bad in the others.
The SE grouped well enough to shoot in our club matches. I haven't noticed a lot of off call shots with it and if I've had failures to fire or squibes it was not many. I shot a lot of it indoors over the winter and it's equally as dirty as any 22 ammo, but has good lube (similar to Wolf but not as slick or greasy) and is Eley primed. I would buy some of the SE again if I knew it was the same stuff as I bought before.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I ended up buying a brick of the SV from a club member and had tighter groups over CCI SV at 40 and 60 meters in my 452 American, but about the same as CCI SV at 77 and 100. This morning I tested Aquila Match Rifle off sand bags at 77 meters and blew away the Aquila SV. I did not bother to try it at 100 meters when I saw what it did at 77. I wish I had a nickel or a dime in my pocket, but at 77 meters, the three five shot groups had to fit a nickel easily. I think I have found the ammo that has the accuracy that fits my rifle.

Patrick, I got my second 20/40 score last night in 97F. One more to go. I got 7 chickens on the final station. Dennis got 10 chickens in Hunting Rifle. I will mail in the Grand Slam Report Form next week as also have to send money to the NRA. We might see tomorrow morning?

I will be going back to the range to continue testing the Match Rifle next week, right out of the box. Preliminary looks very good.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Yes, I have a case of the Aguila SE SV (not from CMP). Before that I was using CCI-SV. In a LH, CZ-452 American. It groups better at 40, 60 yds and opens up at 77. But stays almost as tight at 100. But I always seem to have a breeze blowing, so dunno what it really does.

For me right now, it's good enough until I improve.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Last Friday afternoon after, seeing what the Match Rifle[Golden Eagle] did in my LH 452 at 77 meters, I went ahead and bought 3 bricks from cheaperthandirt @30.00/brick and with shipping was $35.00/brick. The ammo arrived 2 days ago and I went immediately to the range. So far, the Match Rifle at high mid price, is consistant and most accurate.

The Super Extra SV is a little better in accuracy and consistancy than CCI SV in my LH 452. CCI is also a lead builder in my rifle and have to clean after 300 rounds to regain accuracy with consistancy.