Newby Q: Ammo Selection

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
NebrVandal
Unclassified Poster

Newby Q: Ammo Selection

Post by NebrVandal »

Any suggestions which brands/models to start out with?

Thanks.
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

NebrVandal
Welcome to SB Silhouette. You performance will be best with standard velocity ammo. You will have to experiment with various to see what you
rifle likes best. Shoot your groups at 100m as this is the most effective,
after all 75% of your targets are passed 50m so not much point in shooting there. Pick as calm a day as possible and shoot off sand bags
under the forearm and the butt(of the gun) :)
Good ones to try
SK Standard Plus
Wolf MT
Lapua Super Club
Lapua Standard
Eley Club
Eley Club Extra
RWS Rifle Match
CCI Standard
This should probably be enough to be getting on with.
Depending on the quality of your rifle, your groups should be no larger
than about 2" approximately. All the best
Andrew Patchett
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Ammo

Post by ppkny »

Read the post 'Ammo Trials To Start' in this forum by Sophia. There is some good info there.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

My personal favorites are Eley Practice 100 for practice, and Eley Silhouex for matches. Eley recently dropped the Practice 100 and may plan that Practice USA will replace it. I plan to test Federal 711B as a lower cost alternative to both, but that's in the future.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Ammo

Post by ppkny »

BlueBear,
Don't count out Federal 714 as a low cost practice ammo. I've had some good luck with it in both my NULA and Remington.
PPKNY
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

ammo

Post by Jerry G »

Dry, you are very liberal with your group sizes at 100m. On a calm day and off sand bags, you should expect 5 shot groups of 1 1/4" with an occasional flyer that takes you out to 1 1/2"

Some people talk of sub minute groups but they are few and far between. Don't go too cheep on the ammo and don't try too hard to find a US manfacture. When you start looking at costs of the sport, the price of ammo doesn't rank too high. If you want to go cheep, find a car that gets over 30 mpg.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

ammo

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I have tried just about everything in 22LR out there. I test one or two diferent rifles a week, some 1712 and 5418 with factory Anschutz barrels, some with Lilja tight bores, some Shillen, and Hart barrels.
I have always been a believer of Eley ammo. but fot the last ten months, so far the SK STANDARD PLUS have really outshot everything else I tried,
I have gotten several 3/4 to 1/2 groups at 100 meters with them. Right now you can by a case for under $300.00. I personally just bought 3 more cases.
If I was you , I would try to get some of it ,while it is still available, before it diseappear like the Eley Practice did.
Evelio.
Evelio
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Where did you get your ammo, if you don't mind saying, Evelio? Also, do you have any lot numbers handy that worked in factory 1712 barrels, if you tested any of those?
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

JerryG
I would normally agree, but NebrVandal did not specify anything else
other than ammo. It may be being bowled down range out of a Cooey
64 with a 2x 7/8" tube scope. There's a lot of grass between this and
a purebred 1712 in a Pharr stock.
Cheers
Andrew
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Ammo

Post by BlauBear »

ppkny wrote:BlueBear,
Don't count out Federal 714 as a low cost practice ammo. I've had some good luck with it in both my NULA and Remington.
PPKNY
Hmmm... Can't find 714 on the Federal website
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Heh, I went through the same thing when I kept hearing people refer to it on the RimfireCentral website, Blaubear. It's out there, but not shown on Federal's website. :)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

FED 714

Post by ppkny »

I bought a case at the PA states last year from Grice Gun Shop, Clearfield, PA 814-765-9273. It was $125.00 for a case. Nothing wrong with it for indoor and chickens and pigs if you want a inexpensive practice ammo.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Is Federal 714 discontinued, or just stealth?
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

SK AMMO

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

JASON,
Most of the SK STANDARD PLUS ammo purchased in the Houston area came from Champions Choice. The first case was lot 15041/22011 the other 3 cases are lot 21841/23013, both lots have shot excellent with no change in zeros from one lot to the other.
Some of the other local shooters got different lot numbers than mine, but they still shot pretty damm good.
Evelio.
Evelio
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Jason
I see that you're in Wash State. I have 3 different case lots of SK
Standard Plus : 02939/20432 , 02939/10391 , 03039/10403. All shoot equally well ,1" or better at 100m. All were purchased at Kesselrings.
They had a pile of it when I was there in the fall and said they would continue stocking in large quantities. Price was around $270 a case.
Cheers
Andrew Patchett