Eley Ammo

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
jloehle
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Ammo

Post by jloehle »

I have always shot Wolf/SK ammo in my CZ and now my Anschutz 1712. Started with the Wolf Match Target/SK Standard Plus and have started using Wolf Match Extra/ SK Rifle Match. I sometimes even shoot both, with the better ammo used at Turkeys and Rams. The cheaper ammo opens up a bit more there, but not really at chickens and pigs.

I have thought about using Eley Club. I was wondering what it was comparable to. Is it better than all the above? Is it comparable to the better or cheaper stuff?

I know it will depend on your rifle some, but I haven't been able to get a single box to try it out and therefore might have to get a brick of it. Just seeing if it worth it. Price wise it is about the same as Wolf Match Extra/ SK Rifle Match.

Thanks,
Joe
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Eley Ammo

Post by OldRanger »

In my rifle the better wolf and the Eley club were almost identical at all distances, with the slight edge going to the wolf. But like you said, all rifles are different. The Eley powder smelled nicer tho...
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I love the smell of the Eley.

Switching between two different brands of ammo with different lube on them I think is NOT a good idea. :-??
redmist25
B Poster
B Poster

Post by redmist25 »

I find the Eley shoots very well in my 1712 and I definately prefer the much cleaner lube. The Lapua and Wolf shoot very well also but I dont like having to to clean lube off your fingers after loading every mag.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

redmist25 wrote:I find the Eley shoots very well in my 1712 and I definately prefer the much cleaner lube. The Lapua and Wolf shoot very well also but I dont like having to to clean lube off your fingers after loading every mag.
This is why I have enough mags to load once and wipe once per match lol. I find all the ammo Eley and SK make shoots well in my rifles so far and I have never fed it the high dollar stuff as I just don't see the need. Been using SK for a long time now and plan to continue using it.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

I have two cases of Eley Club. If you weight sort it, it will scare the bejesus out of you as it is all over the scale - +/- as much as a grain.

BUT if you weight sort it and shoot within the sorted lots, it shoots pretty good.

If you do not weight sort and shoot silhouette, you should be happy except for the occasional high or low impact.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.