Eley Sport

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
tmarshall
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Sport

Post by tmarshall »

I noticed at the Midway USA website they had what is called Eley Sport. It was $1.44 a box and had a 1080 vel. Sure is cheap! Is it a different maker that Eley is slaping their name on. Sure would like to find a decent sub-sonic ammo in the price range of Fed. 510 or auto-match for practice. That ES might be the ticket. Does anyone know anything about it?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I won a case of it two years ago at Pe Ell. It didn't shoot very well in any of my guns. I ended up selling a little over 9 bricks of it at $10 a brick just to get it out of my garage last year. It might shoot well for you, but I wouldn't buy a bunch of it without testing it first.
lesterf
B Poster
B Poster

Post by lesterf »

I believe the Eley Sport is made in Mexico by Aguila. Aguila had some connection with Eley, they advertise they use Eley's priming mixture. I agree with Jason, I wouldn't buy a bunch without testing it first.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

If it says Made in Mexico you can be sure that it was made by the same company that makes Aguila. I bought two bricks of Eley Sport from Bruno's last month that was not worth my money or my time spent testing it.

I also bought without knowing it was made in Mexico a case of PMC Match .22 ammo from Sportsman's guide which shot fair on one of my hunting rifles that has a custom barrel but not so good on another one of my standard rifles that has a factory barrel. I will have to do more testing to determine if I want to keep it for training or pass it to somebody else to plink with.
orangeblaster
B Poster
B Poster

Post by orangeblaster »

tmarshall, FYI It's been a while since I bought some Eley Sport but my memory is the velocity is rated at 1135 fps. Out of my CZ it was super sonic (no chrono test just listening for the crack).
My experience was it was ok ammo and the performace was right for the money. Or more specifically, it shot better beyond 50 yards than federal 510 but less accurate than cci standard velocity. For a while that was a good happy medium for me and my gun. Seems I expect more these days because I haven't bought it in a while. Your exerience my vary.
Pete A.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Pete A. »

I'm with Orangeblaster. I did a swap/barter with a fellow club member the other day and I ended up with nice little pile of Eley Sport. I've shot a few boxes with good results

It is not the most accurate ammo but it is not that bad either. I rate it even with the Aguila Standard velocity, above Federal 510, even with Federal 714.

IMHO it fits right in it's price point well. Meaning if you compare it to other $13-15/brick ammo you will be pleased. However if you compare it with $30-80/brick ammo you won't like it or be giving it a fair shake.

Pete A.
Deguello
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Sport

Post by Deguello »

The first time I saw Eley Sport was at Winnsboro in 2005. It is a joint effort between Eley and Aquila in Mexico and Eley's intentions is for it to be a good practice ammo. I bought two cases and have been using it to practice when I am not practicing with the air rifle. It is very good to practice at Chickens and Pigs and Turkeys. It opens up at the Rams, but can still be used to reliably hit at the Rams (you might lose a Ram occassionaly if you break on the edge). I save my more expensive ammo for matches where I would like to complete my Grand Slams!! A case of Sport we got recently from Champions Choice shot as well as the Eley Silhouexe we also ordered to test.

It costs around $150 per case delivered. Why use your good ammo you've searched, tested, and paid more for when you can practice with Eley Sport at Chickens and Pigs? After all, unless your hitting 9-10 Chickens or Pigs every time, why keep practicing at the harder to hit and more susceptible to wind fluctuations Turkey and Rams until you can consistently hit the shorter, "easier" targets. :wink:
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you practice at 40m with reduced paper targets, you can get by with cheep ammo. Always remember that you learn to do what you practice so practice only the good qualities that you want. You might find it helpfull to do some training and not so much practicing.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

I started buying the Eley Sport when Wolf hit $30/brick. IMHO, it's good stuff, especially considering the price (Although I'd like to know where to get it at $15/brick. The best price I found on it was $18/brick, and only if I buy a case).

In every 22RF I own it shoot/groups as well as the Wolf Target ammo out to 75meters. It opens up MAYBE 1/4" at 100 vs the Wolf in a couple rifles, and one contender barrel, but not the others.

my .02,

--Tim
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Is this the stuff in the purple box? If it's made by Aguila you can be sure it's a re-packaging of an existing cartridge. That is, it's most unlikey that Aguila developed a variation just to put in the Eley boxes. It probably IS the "Standard Velocity" cartridge. Give some of that a try.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

AJJ --

It is the light purple box, and is assembled by Aguila in Mexico, but it is different than any of the 6 or 7 different Aguila branded 22LR ammos I've tried (I shot a couple dozen bricks of the different Aguila flavors over the year or so prior to switching to the Eley Sport trying to find a substitute for the Wolf). At the very least it has a different bullet lube. It smells MORE like Lapua, Wolf, or some other Eleys than the typical Aguila varieties.

In most of my guns, none of the Aguila branded stuff is as accurate as the Eley Sport at silhouette distances, although the sub-sonic (Low Velocity) SE is close in patterning at typical indoor range distances (however, the SE won't work the action in the semi-auto pistols I've tried it in). Also, the Eley Sport doesn't seem to leave the bore as dirty as any of the Aguila brand. The Standard velocity Aguila seems "just OK for plinking" in most of my guns. It only seems to shoot "barely good enough to compete with in a pinch" out of my 12" Contender Match barrel... Which, BTW, also seems to shoot the Fed510s (Champion) as good as anything else, Wolf included.

I still buy & use some of the Aguila branded ammos (more Super Colibris than anything else), just not nearly as much as I do Eley Sport or Fed510s.

Your mileage may vary, just my .02,

--Tim
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

That's what I get for guessing.
I haven't been able to get SK/Wolf level accuracy for less money. Someone who can do that has accomplished something.
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

Tlee wrote:I started buying the Eley Sport when Wolf hit $30/brick. IMHO, it's good stuff, especially considering the price (Although I'd like to know where to get it at $15/brick. The best price I found on it was $18/brick, and only if I buy a case).

my .02,

--Tim
Tim,
I just ordered today from Champion shooters, $154.41 delivered to Central florida.
I used to use Wolf Match Target for practice and can no longer afford it, lol.
Now with cheaper ammo, i can have a better excuse when i miss during practice.
My wife who is wealthier than I am uses silouex for practice and competition.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

PaPaBeAr-

Thanks! I'll give Champion a call.

--Tim
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I agree with AJJ sk wolf and $3 somthing a box has been very good.