Anyone have a rifle that DOES NOT like Tenex?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Anyone have a rifle that DOES NOT like Tenex?

Post by Ghostofwar »

So, I've been shooting SK Standard + in my new 1712 and it shoots as good as I could ask for the price. However, I am debating on giving some Eley Tenex a try in order to get better and more consistent groups at 77 and 100. I've shot Eley Match ESP in my last 1712 and got the best accuracy out of it, but at double the price of SK, it just wasn't worth it for practice and club matches. With Winnie coming up, I am thinking of giving Tenex a shot. I was thinking 1 brick for testing and another for the match. Before I pull the trigger on it though, I was wondering it anyone has ever had a rifle that just didn't shoot it well? Same question for Eley Match. That might be a less expensive alternative.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Anyone have a rifle that DOES NOT like Tenex?

Post by OldRanger »

My 10/22 didn't like eley match with the flat tip (was that esp?). It did love the club and tenex tho. Only shot a box of each cause thats all I could find locally.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
netninja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by netninja »

I don't think there is any rifle on earth that does not like Tennex :)

Pretty hefty sum to pay to shoot it in non precision rifles.
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

Tennex is so picked over before we get a chance to purchase, that it is not so good. None I have gotten shoots well in any of my rifles. After produced, Tennex starts getting selected by International and National Teams, then high level British shooters, then Military teams, then insider purchasers, then what is left we get a chance to purchase.

My guns simply love some lots of Match. I think the Eley Match is not so picked over when we get a chance to purchase it.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have had better luck with black box eley than I did with the red. My 'SB hunter' 10-22 loved them but I had to keep the rifle real clean for them to eject. I have never heard of a gun that didn't like either black or red box Eley.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Boy, before I'd pay the $15 -$20/box, I'd get down to Texas & test lots ... there really can be a difference.
I've found that if you can find a lot your gun likes, lots with similar speeds >>seem<< to work well too.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The Lapus test facility in Mesa AZ only will test Lapua brand ammo, not the SK. They are also limiting the ammount of ammo you can purchase there. I managed to leave there with 3 cases of SK and 3,000 rounds of center-x.

I have not heard of a facility in TX.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jerry G wrote:The Lapus test facility in Mesa AZ only will test Lapua brand ammo, not the SK. They are also limiting the ammount of ammo you can purchase there. I managed to leave there with 3 cases of SK and 3,000 rounds of center-x.

I have not heard of a facility in TX.
Jerry, Eley opened a test facility in late 2012 in Winters, TX
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -in-texas/
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

For what its worth, our rifles are absolutely allergic to the stuff....in fact, we won't have a single round of eley anywhere on the place ;)

Kitty
along with his faithful sidekick, Mini Kitty
Proud members of Team Lapua
Bound for Winnsboro for the annual Battle on the Bayou
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Well, I tried some of the Eley match and have found it doesn't shoot much better than SK Standard + in my rifle. However this is only one lot, so other lots may be better. I don't live close enough to Texas or Arizona to go to the testing facilities. I would love to do that some day though.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Ghostofwar wrote:Well, I tried some of the Eley match and have found it doesn't shoot much better than SK Standard + in my rifle. However this is only one lot, so other lots may be better. I don't live close enough to Texas or Arizona to go to the testing facilities. I would love to do that some day though.
You can make arrangements and send your rifle to the Lapua Mesa Ctr and Darrel will do the testing, send you the test results and you can make a decision on the ammo you'd like to purchase.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)