CMP AGUILA AMMO - Any Info?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

CMP AGUILA AMMO - Any Info?

Post by jhmartin »

I have funds for purchasing .22LR ammo for our club.

I have been ordering almost exclusively either Wolf MT or SK STD+. I really like them. (basically $300/case to my door)

CMP has the Aguila Super Extra at $136/case or the Target Golden at $207/case.

Does anyone have comments on the quality/consistency of the Aquila? Our kids shoot 4 types of rifle events:
1) 3-Position and/or Prone- 50 foot
2) 3-Position and/or Prone - 50 meter
3) Smallbore Silhouette
4) CMP Rimfire Sporter

I've become a real supporter of the Wolf MT and SK STD+ as it seems to do quite well in almost all guns in all the above events, but with the prices like the Aquila, I do need to consider it.

How's it shoot? :?:
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

My experience is with Aguila Standard Velocity which I bought from www.Coledistributing.com for $99 per case plus $15 shipping. I see that it is now up to $115 plus shipping. This is excellent ammo FOR THE PRICE in the two rifles I used. Some rifles will not like it, of course. I've shot three different lots, one of which was the same ammo boxed as PMC Scoremaster (black box.) All three grouped about the same. I've shot a lot of practice with it and several matches. Shot a 34 with it a few years back.
It is hard-wax lubed. It is not likely to group as well as the Wolf/SK. It's the best truly cheap stuff I've shot.
As Deguello mentions in another post, it is excellent for those sessions where you are determined to make progress hitting chickens and pigs, assuming the individual rifle likes it. May be marginal for 3-P. Definitely worth a try.
P.S. I just happened to be browsing RimfireCentral. Is that "SuperExtra" a copper wash bullet, if you care?
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Following the advice of a well known shooter I ordered several cases of Aguila Standard Velocity for me and some friends and proceeded to test it for accuracy when I got it. It was not too bad but some rounds would chamber really hard on some of my rifles, which made me think the ammo had been made in different machines and then mixed (read poor quality control). Since I did not want to have trouble with the rounds that had trouble chambering and the groups were in my opinion not all that great I passed the ammo on to some of my Cowboy silhouette shooting friends that really liked it because they were using it in their Lever action rifles that did not have match chambers and their 1/2 size targets are much bigger than our 1/5 size targets.

They also like to use Federal Champion 510, which I have tried lately and found to be accurate for being High Velocity. If you are not shooting silhouettes at places that do not allow the use of HV ammo I would highly recommend you try Federal Champion 510 ammo that can be bought at Wal-Mart for less than $12.00 per brick tax included.

Federal Gold Medal Target 711B is much better but also more expensive. I used to buy it for $1.79 per box at the Gun Shows and on line but I have not seen it anywhere at a reasonable price Midway has it listed for $3.50. CMP has it for about $250 per case delivered which is a good price.

Federal has a Estate pre-paid youth direct sale ammo program that includes the Federal Gold Medal 711B and 719 for $150 and Champion for $98

I found this information in Google by searching Federal Gold Medal Target 711B

I hope the information helps you, in any case buy a few boxes of the ammo that you are thinking on buying and test it in different rifles before you buy in quantity.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

AJJ & Lone Ringer ....

Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm hearing is that is may not be as good as the MT or the STD+, but for much of our use of teaching and training, it looks to be good enough.

Thanks also for the info on the Federal Youth program .... I like to have my smaller shooters and most of the girls shooting shotgun use 1oz loads of #9 for skeet, and trying to find it is crazy .... decent price too.

Thx
Deguello
B Poster
B Poster

Federal Ammo

Post by Deguello »

I quit using the Federal Ammo back in the late 1990's after one case of 711 I bought from Champions Shooters Supply was very inconsistent and after about 500 rounds one of them ruptured at the rim/case and destroyed my Browning A-Bolt during a match. Shrapnel/debris flew back into my safety glasses and face and split the wood stock both forward of the receiver along the forend and along the stock behind the pistol grip. Black soot was on my hand that was holding the stock near the magazine well. Luckily, I was not seriously injured during this incident.

Federal replaced my rifle with another that was not as good as the one I originally had and replaced the case of ammo I returned to them with 1- 1/2 cases of another lot-which was not very good, either. From my travels to tournaments and talking with other shooters, I have confirmed reports of two other people that have had the same problem of the Federal ammo "blowing" up their rifle. Maybe Federal has resolved their "priming compound issue" since then, but I will not ever use their ammo again. If you do, please use eye protection!

The Eley Sport I have been using to practice with in my Mark Pharr 54.18/Lilja barrel, 64-MSR, 1710-D, and Briley rifles and my partner's 1712 rifle have been performing well out to Turkeys and is OK at the Rams. His CZ Silhouette performs well with Sport out to the Pigs and is OK at the Turkeys and Rams. It is definitely performing as well or better than the Federal 711 I used at one time and is cheaper. Some lots are as good as the several different lots of Wolf and SK I have bought to test.

Most of our shooters are using one of the following: Eley, SK, Wolf, Eley Sport, and RWS.