A note to horders

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

A note to horders

Post by snaketail2 »

This weekend I was looking through some old metal ammo boxes and found a unopened box of Eley .22 ammo - an old box, the plastic ones that were clear on the bottom and black on top. It has been in the closed ammo can for 15, maybe 16, years. The lean bullets were white and fuzzy-looking. The lead had corroded (I suppose that is the right term) and they looked awful. I sure wouldn't expect match performance from these fuzzy bullets.

So, to you guys who are saving all the .22 ammo you can get - that may not be a good idea.

I also found a brick of PMC target .22. Not too much corrosion, but several fail to fires. (you know, I really thought this stuff would last longer...it was stored in military ammo cans, in Tucson, Az - humidity was not the issue.)

Maybe buying all the .22 ammo isn't such a great investment.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: A note to horders

Post by kevinbear »

I meet quite a few people as a result of my job and have been given cartons of old ammunition by well intentioned folks, if it's 30 years old it's almost useless, many duds, all of it smokes like crazy when shot, extremely underpowered and as you can imagine zero accuracy.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
GSL
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: A note to horders

Post by GSL »

YES - ABSOLUTELY , you are preaching to the CHOIR ...
HOARDING , usually does not work , IF what you are hoping for is saving GREAT shooting ammo .
The problem is that SOME HOARDERS , only do it for the hope of selling for better MONEY ...
REPENT , YE sinners ! Leave the shooting to US ....