Lapua Test Facility

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Lapua Test Facility

Post by Jerry G »

I went to the Mesa test facility yesterday and I would recoment the experience to anyone in the area. They take the stock off your rifle and put in a fixture. They will do a test of some of your ammo as a benchmark. They shoot through a 50 meter and 100 meter screen. I had my 1712 tested. I was amazed to see that where the bullet went in the 50 wasn't always where it went at 100. Some of the groups at 50 resembled the groups at 100 but it was a stretch. They measure the outside to outside of the bullet, not center to center. The worst 10 shot group at 100 was 1.603 inches and the tightest was 1.191 shooting Center-x. One 10 shot group was shot with SK Rifle Match and it grouped better than my worst group of Center-x.

It did take about 20 shots for the rifle to settel in. That may have been because I have been shooting Eley and I didn't clean the rifle for the test. I'm thinking that a person should shoot ammo with the same lube for all animals.

It is an amazing facility just from my 5 cent tour. I would encourage all you Lapua fans to test your rifle. They don't test the cheep stuff. He ran 10 shots of SK thru my rifle just to show me what it does.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Lapua Test Facility

Post by OldRanger »

Did you find a good lot? And do they have ammo to sell you after you find a good one?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Yes to both questions.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

To add to Jerry's comments, I was there in December and also had a great experience. Dan
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Add to Jerry and the others, been there and it's a great experience. You will also learn a lot about how different lots of ammo shoot in your rifle and how just buying blindly is not the best solution.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Bob259 wrote:Add to Jerry and the others, been there and it's a great experience. You will also learn a lot about how different lots of ammo shoot in your rifle and how just buying blindly is not the best solution.
Agree to Bob's note. I was amazed at the difference in how my daughter's 1913 (I had Darrell test in the stock) shot with the different lots.
A super guy to work with ... Picked up a great lot that should last her thru her 1st two years of NCAA shooting.