Federal Gold Medal 711B

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Federal Gold Medal 711B

Post by teetertotter »

I have had a case of Aquila Rifle Match on order since January from my local LGS. My LGS emailed me in March that the distributor, Zanders Sporting Goods, had all Aquila orders on hold with the new TX importer, due to them wanting an unusually higher price. Last Thursday my LGS e-mailed me to tell me that both his distributors he works with canceled their orders with Aquila.

I had a box of Federals 711B, which was on the testing list, but never got around to testing until this past Saturday morning. My LH CZ 452 American and myself, were amazed by the accuracy of this 711B. In fact, I did not have to change the elevation that I use at the 77 meter distance. I did not have my 6 inch ruler with me to get a close measurement and eyeball guess with 3 shot groups were VERY close to 1/2 inch vs 3/4 inch with the Aqjuila. Based on this one test and box from particular lot#, I emailed my LGS to change my case order to the 711B @$420.00/Cs complete price. There was no wind, shot off sandbags, with 70F temps. It was a perfect day. I had NO fliers in 25 rounds from that 711B box.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Federal Gold Medal 711B

Post by BCloninger »

My knock on 711B is that leads up the barrel but yes, it shoots very well. Either plan to clean your barrel regularly, or add a bit of lube to the ammunition.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Federal Gold Medal 711B

Post by teetertotter »

BCloninger wrote:My knock on 711B is that leads up the barrel but yes, it shoots very well. Either plan to clean your barrel regularly, or add a bit of lube to the ammunition.
Ya, we will see. I had that same problem w CCI SV a couple years ago. Very dry and sold to fellow club member for what I paid.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/