Colt (Aquila) 40gr - ACOLT22SP

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Colt (Aquila) 40gr - ACOLT22SP

Post by jhmartin »

Had 9 bricks of this Colt branded ammo of Aquila mfgr donated to our 4-H club by our Game & Fish Dept.
I guess they paid about $600/case (yeah, I'd havge suggested STD+), but that may have been w/ shipping.

Has anyone any info/opinion on this stuff?
We've normally shot SK STD+ for our silhouettes and this is a bit faster than I'd really like to shoot (1250), but we've shot SK HV in our Sil rifles before too.

Any comments? ... like:
1) - Sure keep it for your new kids
2) - Works fine
3) - Give it to your competition..... =))
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Colt (Aquila) 40gr - ACOLT22SP

Post by Jerry G »

$600 a case for Aquila? You gotta be kidding.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Here you go, Jerry. You know you want to order some...

http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40-gr- ... 500-rounds
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Thanks Jason. You are a real pal.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Jerry G wrote:$600 a case for Aquila? You gotta be kidding.
Remember ... this was a govt agency ordering this. :roll:

In all seriousness, the NM Game & Fish sponsors and provides ammo, training (level-1 coach schools) for volunteers that coach youth. :-bd
A few years ago we asked them to look into smallbore ammo as well as the shotgun ammo they provide youth clubs.
So this was the result ... not optimal, but a good effort. Realistically, looking at this as training ammo for our youngest shooters ... can't be any worse than the Eley Sport we got a year ago for that purpose.
I've heard that next year they are just going to give us a check for us to order our own ammo ... better, then we can actually get what we truely want, and not have it stored at their facility in a connex in the parking lot ... in the summer.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jhmartin wrote:
Jerry G wrote:$600 a case for Aquila? You gotta be kidding.
Remember ... this was a govt agency ordering this. :roll:

In all seriousness, the NM Game & Fish sponsors and provides ammo, training (level-1 coach schools) for volunteers that coach youth. :-bd
A few years ago we asked them to look into smallbore ammo as well as the shotgun ammo they provide youth clubs.
So this was the result ... not optimal, but a good effort. Realistically, looking at this as training ammo for our youngest shooters ... can't be any worse than the Eley Sport we got a year ago for that purpose.
I've heard that next year they are just going to give us a check for us to order our own ammo ... better, then we can actually get what we truely want, and not have it stored at their facility in a connex in the parking lot ... in the summer.
It has to be better then the American Eagle HP HV copper wash ammo that the NRA substituted for the target ammo that was in the catalog that we applied for in this years grant. Yes, it may have been free, but that is not target ammo and shouldn't be being used in the target rifles X( .

(PS: Rumor has it when one of the other Jr clubs called and questioned the NRA about the switch the person said all .22 ammo is the same)
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Bob259 wrote:It has to be better then the American Eagle HP HV copper wash ammo that the NRA substituted for the target ammo that was in the catalog that we applied for in this years grant. Yes, it may have been free, but that is not target ammo and shouldn't be being used in the target rifles X( .

(PS: Rumor has it when one of the other Jr clubs called and questioned the NRA about the switch the person said all .22 ammo is the same)
Bob ... I sure hope that this is not true for the STD+ that was in grant catalog we were granted. If it is, that will probably shut down our 4-H program this year until we can sell it & purchase real target ammo. There is no way I'd allow any copper washed (HV to boot!) to be fired in our programs precision rifles.
I'm supposed to get out ammo in a few weeks.

If true this is a real slap in the face of the state committees as their funds were specified for one (expensive) type of ammo and (bait &)switched for a cheaper ammo. My first question would be to National ... where is the funds difference ... did it get RETURNED to the state account?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jhmartin wrote:
Bob259 wrote:It has to be better then the American Eagle HP HV copper wash ammo that the NRA substituted for the target ammo that was in the catalog that we applied for in this years grant. Yes, it may have been free, but that is not target ammo and shouldn't be being used in the target rifles X( .

Bob ... I sure hope that this is not true for the STD+ that was in grant catalog we were granted. If it is, that will probably shut down our 4-H program this year until we can sell it & purchase real target ammo. There is no way I'd allow any copper washed (HV to boot!) to be fired in our programs precision rifles.

If true this is a real slap in the face of the state committees as their funds were specified for one (expensive) type of ammo and (bait &)switched for a cheaper ammo. My first question would be to National ... where is the funds difference ... did it get RETURNED to the state account?
We did receive our SK+, but we had also added the bulk of the order for the Eley Target (Sport) from the catalog for the new shooters just starting out as shooting SK+ for a new shooter is excessive, we use the SK+ for our DE's shooting at 50M and 100Y. Nothing was returned to the state accounts from what I was told. We are planning on selling/trading the American Eagle HP HV for target ammo, but being 40 round boxes and 400 round bricks we will not get a 1 for 1 match and our Jr program as well could be in danger yet again for not having ammo.

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

jhmartin wrote:

Sent a note to confirm and this is what the person that wrote a grant just like ours was told
"NRA Foundation main office told me that all 22 ammo is the same. Its great to know we deal with trained experts….."

jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Bob259 wrote: "NRA Foundation main office told me that all 22 ammo is the same. Its great to know we deal with trained experts….."
Change to "arrogant experts"
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Just an FYI on our grant ammo.

We received just what we had requested .... STD+, so I'm happy.

Noticed that this year in the fullfillment catalog no more STD +. Plus no prices on any of the items in the "store" so you have no clue for how much of a grant you will be asking for....