CCI std. vel @ 100 meters

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
jfaaa
B Poster
B Poster

CCI std. vel @ 100 meters

Post by jfaaa »

This 22 lr CCI ammo shoots 4" low at 100 meters no matter how much elevation is added to the Leupold 6.5-20X Premier scope. I also tried Federal 714 std vel at the same 100 meter target and it shoots 100 meters into an inch and a half group 4 inches higher, so I don't think it is a scope problem. As part of the test I added 5 full minutes to my 100 meter setting, it made no difference, still 4" low-like the ammo runs out of steam and can't do any better. The settings for 40, 60 and 77 are normal and consistent. The rifle is a CZ 452 Silhouette synthetic.
Anyone ever seen anything like this with CCI standard velocity 22 lr?

Thanks, Jim
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Re: CCI std. vel @ 100 meters

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Are you sure it's CCI SV and not Quiet? Same box (color) just small letters designate one from the other. You may want to chrony the velocity as that will tell you (or you could possibly tell by the sound as the Quiet is, well, quiet). Also is this recently manufactured ammo?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

That really makes no sense. If your scope isn't defective adding one moa at 100 should move the group up an inch. The velocity shouldn't matter, it should raise the group up. I shot CCI SV out of my 10/22 that I rigged up for silhouette and found it shot within an inch or so of wolf and SK. Do your groups go up when you raise it with the federal?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
jfaaa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jfaaa »

The CCI ammo is definitely "Standard Velocity". I bought this case about 2 years ago, it's the paper box version. Stored in a cool, dry location inside a sealed ammo can.

I did not see any reason to test the Federal ammo, since it performed as it should at 100 meters.

Next I will try some SK rifle match that I have a few boxes of.

Jim
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'm not sure if you don't understand what I'm trying to say (I don't always explain things well) or don't believe it. Try shooting some of your federal with the scope up 4 moa and see if the groups rise 4 inches. If it does, then try shooting the CCI right there. The fact that it shoots 4 inches low doesn't really matter, you should be able to adjusts your scope so its hits where you want it to. Is it possible you are out of adjustment or right near the top end of your adjustments? Many people shim their scopes to keep the adjustments in the middle of the rube instead of at the edges. No matter how slow the ammo is (for any factory 22 ammo) you will absolutely change the POI by raising the scope. Always*.

*unless you are out of adjustment room ;)
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
jfaaa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jfaaa »

The S K ammo was a little better than the CCI, about equal to the federal. I am 38 clicks ( 1/4 min) from the limit of my elevation, so maybe this is the problem. I have had this scope on 6 different rifles, never had to shim or buy a special base. Next move will be to put some shims under and start all over with settings, so I will not be as close to the upper limit of elevation.

Jim
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

You are headed in the right direction.....scopes have a limited range of movement and you have maxed out...a shim will get you there....The higher power scopes have the least travel range....because of the larger erector assemblies.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I have 2 thickness of beer can on the back scope mount of all my rifles except the HP which has a 20 taper to it.. I will never understand why they don't make the back one taller than the front one. I have even shimmed my AR.
jfaaa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jfaaa »

Problem solved. It wasn't the ammo, it was the scope being too close to the elevation limit. I added a shim to the rear scope ring and started over. After I sighted in the scope and got new settings, I shot the CCI standard velocity and the SK rifle match over my Chronograph. CCI = 1024 FPS; SK rifle match + 1040 FPS. Temp. was only 60 degrees and overcast, higher temp will probably increase velocity. Only in upstate NY (NOT the city).