SK Magazine .22? Any good?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
gregw72
B Poster
B Poster

SK Magazine .22? Any good?

Post by gregw72 »

Looks like SK is offering a new ammo called SK Magazine .22. It has the same specs as the SK Standard Plus, but comes in a metal can with 500 loose rounds. Any of you guys shot this? How does it compare to SK Standard Plus? Grafs has it now in stock.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: SK Magazine .22? Any good?

Post by OldRanger »

I assumed since it was sold in bulk it was a lower grade of ammo than sk standard plus. No idea how good/bad it is tho. Why don't you order a can and do a writeup for us? :)
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fwt1712 »

SK Magazine is very much our affordable 'quality' ammo in Oz - it has been available here for over 10 years, and SK is now part of the Lapua group as I understand it. It's performance is generally on par with Eley Club Xtra levels and most rifles seem to like it. We pay around $80 a can. Regards Nigel.
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

It has popped up here on occasion, but not all that common.

I'd use it, but would likely put the rounds in to my old CCI plastic containers. Just something about reaching in to a can-full of ammo...

This appeared in Smallbore:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9113
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I retested the "magazine" SK since then on a calm morning and the chronograph results were slightly different. While it is extremely consistent it's a little to slow for optimum accuracy, groups were in the high .7's @ 100m while selected lots of Center X and Rifle match were in the 5's with fewer flyers. I wouldn't shoot it at the nationals or any other big matches but it's more than adequate for club matches.
BTW while shooting the Center X control group there was a "light load", first time that's happened to me with that level of ammunition during chronographing, wondering if that ever happens with Midas + !
Avg 1037
Hi 1046
Lo 1017
es 28.8
sd 9.0
ad 7.3
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it