Aguila match ?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Aguila match ?

Post by old sparky »

I stopped in at the Sportsman today and they had some Aguila 22 match in a gold and blue box. I bought a few boxes and at the checkout counter the gal pointed to a printed out disclaimer that read. The Aguila may get stuck in the barrel? Any one have an openion on this?

thanks, Jim
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Aguila match ?

Post by Jerry G »

I have shot the stuff with only one problem............. It would not group very well in my rifle.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

old sparky wrote:I stopped in at the Sportsman today and they had some Aguila 22 match in a gold and blue box. I bought a few boxes and at the checkout counter the gal pointed to a printed out disclaimer that read. The Aguila may get stuck in the barrel? Any one have an openion on this?

thanks, Jim
I think it's the lube they use as my match chambers didn't like it and the bolt closed real hard when I shot it years ago.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I am using it in my LH 452 American the past 1-1/2 years. I will be switching to Federals 711B with a case on order.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

Thanks for the replays. I looked it up on Aguilar web page and see it is standard velocity. I wonder why sportsman would post a coment like that. I will shoot it and listen.

Thanks
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

old sparky wrote:I stopped in at the Sportsman today and they had some Aguila 22 match in a gold and blue box. I bought a few boxes and at the checkout counter the gal pointed to a printed out disclaimer that read. The Aguila may get stuck in the barrel? Any one have an openion on this? thanks, Jim

I think someone mislead her. My groups using the Match Rifle or renamed Rifle Match with the right conditions was very good in my 452 American. It was just a little better than their Standard Xtra SV.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

That disclaimer usually only applies to the "colibri" or "super colibri" quiet ammo that is a lightweight bullet pushed at a very low velocity and might not make it out of the longer barrels of rifles. See the MidwayUSA listing for Aguila Colibri here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163096 ... oxes-of-50

It doesn't apply to the "standard velocity" or "match" ammo with muzzle velocity of 1000+ fps.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Picture of a picture.

Dateline: 8 am. Easter Sunday 2008. Super Colibri 20gr. projectile penetrates chest of squirrel, squirrel dies. Projectile continues on, went through soft cedar fence picket. Lucky for me, my neighbors family room window stopped it from going any further. :? :oops: #-o Distance from muzzle to window...25 yards. 9 am, neighbors get a knock on door. :oops: :-ss Monday morning, new window installed. Cost me $115.00 plus a fifty dollar Outback Steakhouse gift card to help smooth things over. All is cool. #:-s

I have fired a brick and a half of these, they do not stick in barrels....no way. Watch your backstop. :D

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Guru, I use the Remington CB Long Rifles out of a Annie 1413 with Weaver CT36....760fps and a good tree, squirrels 39, tree..a few more grains of lead.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Guru, Good thing this didn't happen now, if it did you'd have to go back to work =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Work?..... :))

Mary, this was a young'n sitting on a half barrel eating Sara's newly planted flowers. She alerted me to the problem. It was her fault. You will likely never be a professional squirrel shooter with that pitiful body count. :-q Step it up, woman. I used my old Marlin 80 with Leupold 4x. Before I sold that house 616 of them varmints were bumped off. You were at that house, remember that huge treed open space that bordered my yard ? Just a varmint breeding ground. :roll:

Bob, the busted window was a 12 x 48 ....right next to a 48 x 48 :shock: A hit three inches lower, that's all I needed! :(

My new found freedom has given me the time to do a rudimentary performance test. I read all the negative comments about this ammo on the link Jason provided. Pure hogwash I say. At 32 feet in my basement the pill pierced a steel food can and 1/2 inch of light plywood. It has a good dent from finally hitting the concrete wall. Past accuracy testing at 100 feet shows the Marlin will keep all shots within .750. Plenty good for rodent head shots. 8)

Ooops..that was the Colibri with the complaints. The Super (souped up) Colibri got great reviews.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250629 ... 2506295321

Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Fri May 30, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Now Guru, that is with the above listed rifle, there are other rifles. Plus the numerous ones that we didn't count. Besides, that house has only been occupied for just over a year now. When it comes to rats in the aviary that is a whole 'nother count.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.