Thunderbolts

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Thunderbolts

Post by teetertotter »

Last week, one of our AAA shooters ran out of the ammo he uses and found 3 bricks of Thunderbolts to keep him in the game. He shot a 26/40 Thursday eve with the Thunderbolts. Ammo is still very hard to find at our LGS and Walmart in our city. I will be asking him what groups he got at 100 meters in sighting in. He may have just found a cheap ammo and a surprise find for his custom barrel in Heavy[Std] Class. One may NOT have to rule out Thunderbolts for testing. They may not be dirty or inaccurate per their reputation? We allow SV and HV using cast iron NRA approved animals, for added note.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Thunderbolts

Post by Jerry G »

One store in town is selling winchester plated HP for $10 per 100. That's $50 a brick. That's crazy.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I found some Winchester 555, a rather anemic 36gr HP. Has almost no lube on it and the price for 555 rounds was $40. At 50 yards is grouped well enough for "club matches" - low and right, a 2" group from my CZ (same rifle will shoot Wolf under 1/4" at the same distance).

But the good part is - it was available and I had fun at the range with it!

Now, about the price of gas...

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
fartsinpublic
B Poster
B Poster

Post by fartsinpublic »

My kid likes to shoot "my" ammo (CCI MiniMags--all I can find locally) for his plinking, so I quietly put Win 333 & 555 rounds in my old CCI cases the night before hitting the range, and give them to him for his single shot Savage Rascal. He's 6, so he hasn't quite caught on to the head stamp markings yet. :))