.22 are back!?!

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: .22 are back!?!

Post by teetertotter »

Bob259 wrote:The CMP told us 18 to 24 month wait if we are lucky for our order for our Junior program. Hard to believe that after all this time we are looking at that long of a wait, it's really impacting Junior programs all over the country. We've resorted to buying it by the brick as we find it.
If I recall, CMP buys only Aguila .22LR. Back in January, I had a case of Aguila Rifle Match with lGS who gets from distributor, Zander's. In the Fall of 13, Aquila switched the US importer to a firm in TX. I had some contact with the importer this past March trying to get shipping info from the Mexico, plant. After two emails, there were know more replies from them. In April, I learned that Zanders was no longer going to stock/Buy Aquila ammo due to the importers huge price increase. Zander's Rep said their Aguila orders were put on HOLD. Then learned Zanders was no longer going to be a stocking Aguila distributor according to my LGS communications. That prompted me to change my order to Federals 711B that I had tested in April. This is just some tid bit info I learned about Aguila, true or not. This new TX importer might have a new published list of distributors too.

At least I had some communications with the Federal factory Rep even though he was unable to help me. I will send him another email next month to ask if he has any info on manufacturing their 711B and ship cases to Zanders, for whatever it is worth.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

About the only thing this circus of boobs and clowns is letting in our country, are illegal immigrants. Not by the box or brick, but by the case lots. Ammunition and components don't carry the votes they seek. The value of our ballot has been lost. The wisdom, teachings, and experience of our fore fathers is no longer taught, but suppressed. The hour glass has been turned.
Stay Safe
Mark

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

"The natural cure for an ill-administration, in a popular or representative constitution, is a change of men." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 21, 1787
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Went by the LGS and they had Varget on the shelves - lots of it! And 8 pound canisters of 3031. Starline has 32-20 brass, Graff & Sons has .257 75gr Speer bullets...next thing you know I'll get a job - naw, probably not.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

snaketail2 wrote:Went by the LGS and they had Varget on the shelves - lots of it! And 8 pound canisters of 3031. Starline has 32-20 brass, Graff & Sons has .257 75gr Speer bullets...next thing you know I'll get a job - naw, probably not.

M
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Uh, thanks, I think!

I gave up and filed for Social Security...might as well let the gub'ment pay me to be unemployed. The SS woman said I could "freelance" 40 hours a pay period, so that's what I'm doing. I'm a commercial photographer and when I tell 'em I'm semi-retired I usually get the gig (wish I'd thought of that years ago!).

I'm a healthy, active, senior that hikes, bikes and shoots, but when they see that I'm a Vietnam vet the hiring process stops cold. Too many old coots are giving us other Vietnam seniors a bad rap (to be fair - I saw a picture of my high school class at their 45th reunion - where did all those old people come from? And, what happened to the girl I used to have a crush on - well, let's not go there).

So, I'll collect my "retirement" and freelance and have stopped wasting my time looking for a job...they ain't looking for grey hair anyway. This leaves me more time to travel to shooting matches, do load development and general BS'n on the net.

Michael
Last edited by snaketail2 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

There are some small quantaties of high grade stuff around but I sure don't want to use it up for practice.... its the cheaper target stuff thats impossible to find... I have found some fed auto match stuff but have not used it in my anschultz... might shoot it in my AR but I have reservations in the annie.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

What cheaper target stuff are you looking for? I've seen the SK Standard + come up a few times lately and the Norma Tac-22 that is just RWS Target in a different box is nearly always available. Both are $500 to $600 a case, significantly less than Lapua Center-X or other higher-end stuff. You can get the Norma here for $5.40 a box of 50, with a limit of one case a day. :)

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... _50_Rounds
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Brunos has Sk standard plus and the SK Magazine bulk in stock.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/ ... _Code=32SK
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Went to Cabela's on Tuesday (early June). Checked the used rifles - nothing for me there. Checked the kayaks...nothing there either. Didn't have much hope of finding any .22 ammo. But, there it was - an entire shelf full of Federal AutoMatch bulk boxes. And a guy was starting to fill up the lower shelf with the same thing. I asked if I could buy more then one box - he said, "Buy all you want, we have plenty on the back."

I don't know if this a trend, or just St. Louis' turn to get a truck load. I bought two boxes...didn't want seem greedy.

Michael
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

That Federal AutoMatch IS NOT the same stuff I used to get. I'll save it for the grandkids and stick to Tac-22 for matches.

M
PaulG
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PaulG »

That's been my impression as well. The main market for .22 ammo is cheap crap so that's what is currently being produced and shoved out the door. With the current overheated demand it just makes business sense. I'll bet the bean counters are pressing the production folks to ride the razor's edge of acceptable quality. I'd be surprised if were otherwise. CCI seems to have maintained decent quality, but I haven't been able to find and shoot enough recent production to form a firm opinion. Currently produced Automatch definitely seems to be of lower quality than it used to be.

Fortunately, we still have a decent supply of good imported ammo, but it comes at a cost. Heck, what doesn't?

Paul
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If you are just looking for practice, buy the 3 minute stuff and shoot at 3x larger targets.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I went window shopping today and the only ammo I saw at a reasonable? price was, 325 for $34 and 500 for $44. It was subsonic Agulia.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I actually got an email from Midsouth Shooters Supply telling me that my 22LR ammo backorder from 2013 was in stock and ready to be shipped. It was from so long ago that I didn't even remember ordering it and had to check what it was. Evidently I'm getting 2000 Mini-mag solids at just over $5 per 100 toward the end of next week. :)
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I did a spot check on TAC-22 today at Champion Shooters Supply and has come down from $535 to $490/cs plus frt, from a year ago. I will break open that year old case mid summer. Seems in stock now too, and based on that, I won't order till the end of the year.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/