Variations within a case?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Variations within a case?

Post by atomicbrh »

Has anyone ever discovered variations in group size as you work your way through a case of ammo? Have you ever noticed that some boxes of ammo within a case do not group as well as other boxes of ammo within that same case? And, yes I know the effect that wind has on the bullet at 100 meters, how clean or dirty the barrel is, and the other usual myriad of factors affecting group size. I do not think this will happen with high grade ammo like Tenex and Midas but I am asking about the ammo that is in the lower cost ranges for our sport. The kind of ammo that most of us average working people shoot for this sport of silhouette. Is the quality control so poor that there is variation within a case of 5,000 now?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Variations within a case?

Post by Jason »

I have noticed variation due to things like temperature on the group size as I shoot my way through a case, especially with SK/Wolf ammo that seems to be more temperature sensitive. I haven't noticed it with Lapua or Eley. Even with the SK/Wolf, I haven't noticed variation from box to box shot back-to-back in the same conditions.
Gleedaniel13
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

If the temperature will vary then for sure I will be worried about this due to our temperature here in our place. :(
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

See my post in the Club House about Federal 711B
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Air Temperature was not the problem for me. We keep a temperature and humidity instrument on the firing line. I will not specify what brand ammo that had the variations because there are "fanboys" of every product out there and the "fanboys" will jump on this post. I will just say that it was not Federal ammo and not Federal 711B. So, there is possibly more than one rimfire ammo manufacturer who will pull this crap. We live in times when the cost to rebarrel a Rimfire rifle is less than the price of a case of the cheapest ammo that will hit the Ram consistently. Something is very wrong with that.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Remember, you get what you pay for.