Eley Force HV

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Eley Force HV

Post by Jason »

Al,

I'm not sure if you're intending to agree or disagree, but I assume it is to agree. I also won't use standard velocity ammo on smallbore cowboy rams anymore, especially SK/Wolf which for most lots is slower than most other standard velocity ammo. Once accuracy testing showed me that there was no appreciable difference with accuracy other than at rams, I just use high velocity for all animals now since I would rather knock the rams down reliably.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Just making a point about shooting in wind that people in the east never get to experience.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think Al is right on this. If you can't dope the wind at Raton, you'll suffer..usually about 230pm...and it's always when I'm on turkeys. Most of the top shooters I know use HV on rams in Smallbore.
Just Be Nice **==
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I've shot a lot of Rams in small bore rifle and cowboy game and there's not enough difference in wind drift to chose one over the other. It's like 3/4" of an inch in a 10 mph cross wind. Why is it that small? Because subsonic ballistics are more efficient than supersonic. There's lots of weird stuff going on when HV bullets go transonic.

I can't hold good enough to care about the 3/4" advantage. I always shoot match ammo in the lever gun because I can easily buy cases of it in one purchase and never have to fuss over using different sight settings because of an ammo change. To this day have never rung a ram with target velocity ammo.

I like Eley Force and have a shot a bit of it. However mini mags shoot darn good for 1/2 the price.

But shoot what you like (or your gun likes) and be happy.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Late to this thread and not that it matters but I shoot SV ammo at all the animals and only have problems with PC pigs and rams. If they are set back they almost always fall or if they are legal SB animals they fall.

I am sure after typing this I will ring 10 SB rams in a row next week....

:mrgreen:

(FWIW, several people I know use HV for the rams, if it's accurate I say why not, it's insurance)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

cedestech wrote:Late to this thread and not that it matters but I shoot SV ammo at all the animals and only have problems with PC pigs and rams. If they are set back they almost always fall or if they are legal SB animals they fall.

I am sure after typing this I will ring 10 SB rams in a row next week....

:mrgreen:

(FWIW, several people I know use HV for the rams, if it's accurate I say why not, it's insurance)
Good point. Here in Pa we shoot at two ranges that for some strange reason the Rams ( and sometimes pigs ) are hard to knock down. Sometimes I think their rails are magnetized.
At any rate if you aspire to be the match winner or place high in your class given these situations, you can't afford to loose even one hit animal. How you go about that goal is up to each individual shooter. For me at certain ranges and conditions,I'll use HV every time. That strategy has not let me down yet.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I have always used SV in small bore, but I did ring a ram at the Nationals this year so I went out and bought some HV for rams only.

Joe
The targets at our regional are the right thickness , but they are re settable so use what you want, but low hits on the Rams sometimes isn't enough with SV 22.

I'd hate to see you shoot a 40 but Ring two or three Rams...just my 2 cents worth.

We're looking forward to you defending your win from last year.
Just Be Nice **==
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I use HV on smallbore cowboy rams and SV on the other targets. I used to use SV on all of the animals until I shot a 37/40 ringing three rams in Mississippi a couple years ago.

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

dustinflint wrote:I use HV on smallbore cowboy rams and SV on the other targets. I used to use SV on all of the animals until I shot a 37/40 ringing three rams in Mississippi a couple years ago.

Dustin
Thanks counselor, I rest my case.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

It still hurts my feelings...

Dustin
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I know what you mean. I shot a 55 X 60 with a 22mag to win our PCLA state championship in 2009. I dung 3 Rams and a 58 would have been a national record which would still stand.
Oh well we try again the next time.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I'm crying with ya Dustin. :((

I haven't found a HV round that'll shoot MOA in my sloppy chambered Marlin.

Oh how I wish NRA would allow aftermarket barrels. :ympray: I'd have a Lilja tight bore 3 groove with at least a Bentz chamber so I can shoot a broader range of ammo. A stainless barreled Marlin would be an odd sight

But it would shoot Eley Force! Back on topic
- Joe