Cheap(er) spotting scopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Cheap(er) spotting scopes

Post by ShootingStar »

I know Merlin has already made his purchase, but I was interested and following the information given.
I don't have one, but spent some time at a Smallbore Silhouette Match looking through a Konuspot 80.
I was surprised by it's clarity - especially for it's current sale price (at Optics Planet) of $180!!!

Now I admit to not having a tremendous amount of experience with ANY spotting scope, so I'm certainly not qualified to comment - especially on comparisons of one Brand or Model to another.

Let's keep this thread going with those of you who ARE experienced with multiple, low-er cost spotting scopes.
I'm willing to learn, but only have a little money to burn!

ShootingStar

Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It is ALL in the quality of the glass, not in the power. You will see more with a quality 30X scope than a 60X cheep one.

PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I have a Celestron 80mm. I am happy with it so far. Main observations are: first, it is very large. I would not want to lug it up and down a 600 yard high power range. Second, it is much more user friendly at the 20x to 30x range. Like many inexpensive scopes, at higher power the eye relief goes to nothing and the image is harder to focus. But it is working fine for basic range work.