What tripods are members using for spotting scopes?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

What tripods are members using for spotting scopes?

Post by DavidABQ »

The title pretty much says it all.
I have a vintage tripod that got damaged so I am in the market for another tripod. I am using a vintage Bausch and Lomb 15-60 power scope.

So, what does everyone use? Surveyors tripods? Camera tripods, fluid heads, pan and tilt heads, ECT.

Thank you in advance.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: What tripods are members using for spotting scopes?

Post by hermit5 »

There maybe newer models but this is a Manfrotto no model number.Its heavy enough to handle a Kowa 82.
The swivel head is a squeezable Manfrotto# 3265,I really like this feature as it very quick for adjustment.
Hope this helps.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Ray-Vin

I bought a Ray-Vin scope stand and a decade ago and have been using it for everything from smallbore, high-power and plinking with friends. The mounting head has 1 hand adjustment for height and tilt and a quick release..

It does fall under the "buy once, cry once" category.

http://www.ray-vin.com/tripods/tripods.htm
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A big and heavy camera tripod works just fine. A survey tripod is too heavy and bulky and you need to build a special adapter to mount a spotting scope.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I am using an engineer's / survey tripod for my Calbela's Intrepid spotting scope. I purchased this tripod several years ago from a state auction for $30 dollars. I did have to buy the half ball leveling head and the fluid video head that the scope actually mounts to. I am 5'10 and the tripod raises up enough so I can use the scope standing up. It is not a light small tripod. It has some weight and size to it. That helps it to be steady in the wind. I do not worry about the tripod blowing over in the wind. It also does not have a center post to raise the scope. It raises by extending the 3 legs. I tried to attach a couple of pictures but was not able to. I will be glad to email someone pictures of my setup so they can post them. My email is kgreen45@bellsouth.net Thanks Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have my spotting scope on a set of Manfrotto tripod legs made for a video camera that I got used off of eBay many years ago. It's similar to this one, but is a much older model that I paid a fraction of that price for.

https://www.manfrotto.us/video-movie-pr ... ipod-black

The tripod head that I have on those tripod legs that the scope attaches to is the Manfrotto 410 (old part number was 3275 and is the same thing) junior geared head. I also got it used and paid much less than this for it.

https://www.adorama.com/bg3275.html

I like that the tripod head has knobs to turn to adjust for windage and elevation instead of just a lever. It's much more precise for moving between banks or animals within a bank for.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you gentlemen, there are a couple of different way to go and for me to ponder.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

After 50 years as a professional photographer there are some I avoid and some I love.
Gitzo is the favorite - they come in enough sizes and flavors that you can find one that will work for you.
Manfrotto is the one I will avoid - wanky legs and other issues.
Look at Gitzo and be happy.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
22ballard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 22ballard »

Several years ago I bought a Wally World camera tripod to use with my Kowa 821. While at a match a gust of wind blew it over. Needless to say that bouncing it off the concrete didn't do it any good. I sent it back to Kowa for repairs. The Kowa customer service was awesome, they turned it around very quickly, fixed and adjusted it. The repairs were covered under the warranty and they shipped it back to me no charge. This one of the reasons why I'm a fan of Kowa scopes.
The scratches are a reminder to me - DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A TRIPOD, even if you have Kowa's customer service to fix your mistake....