Scope adjustment advice requested

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Scope adjustment advice requested

Post by mrkswords »

I picked up a (I am embarrassed to say) Tasco 6-32X50 AO on the cheap today. The glass was good enough for the price, plus it had a dot reticle. I've been wanting to try shooting with a dot reticle scope for a while. I mounted it on a CZ 455 and started the process of zeroing it in. I was extremely happy with the 2 MOA, five shot initial grouping that I got. The problem came when I tried to move the group on target. I ran out of adjustment on both elevation and windage. I was initially eight inches low and two inches right. I shimmed the rear mount and that brought my POI closer to the correct elevation. I think one more shim will fix the elevation problem. I am stymied on the windage correction and would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Scope adjustment advice requested

Post by xpilot »

Try reversing your rings for starters. If no joy, try some tinfoil/paper on the side of the scope to "push" the tube to the left. If all else fails.....Burris signature rings with inserts.
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Post by mrkswords »

Will do. Also going to try a set of BKL mounts that I have to see if there is any difference.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I use 3 beer cans to shim my scopes. Windage will be effected if your shims are not centered in the rings. I use just a little dab of rubber cement to keep the shim stack centered. one shim is 1 inch long, one 1/2 inch long and the third 1/4 inch long. The stack must be centered because they are a long scope. I shot a Tasco for many years and never had a problem with it. Glass isn't the best but it worked just fine. Good luck and don't apologize for your equipment. We have all been there and done that.
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Post by mrkswords »

Update:
Four hours at the range this past Sunday working with scope. Shims worked and got me on target. Knew it was too good to be true. At 40 yards, from a rest, a tack driver. One literally on top of the other. I really thought I was missing the paper again until I went down range and took a closer look at the five-shot group. Moved out to 60 yards and still getting acceptable grouping (five shots within an inch). Then moved out to 77 yards. Five shot group spread over six square inches. Out to 100 yards looked like someone shot the target with buckshot. Took 50 rounds to convince me that it wasn't me (actually owning up to wasting money). That's okay. The guy took what I paid and applied it to my ordering a Leupold VXII 6-18X40 with a target dot.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Cheep ammo goes to hell between the turkeys and rams. Probably isn't your scope.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Did you go back to chickens after rams to see if it was grouping ok? I agree, ammo is probably the more likely culprit.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

mrkswords wrote:Update:
The guy took what I paid and applied it to my ordering a Leupold VXII 6-18X40 with a target dot.
Great choice! Leupold builds a lot of value into the whole VXII line, and their 6-18x40 is a personal favorite. Throw in a lifetime warranty and resale value and they're very hard to beat.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Post by mrkswords »

Jerry G wrote:Cheep ammo goes to hell between the turkeys and rams. Probably isn't your scope.
I don't consider Eley target, cheap. It's the same ammo that I used in matches before swapping scopes.(always with consistent results).
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

mrkswords wrote:I don't consider Eley target, cheap. It's the same ammo that I used in matches before swapping scopes.(always with consistent results).
Subsonic Eley Target, I presume? That seems like a silly question, but Eley has fooled me in the past with some of their naming. Regardless, a CZ 455 with a VXII, BKL rings, and Eley ammunition should be a sweet setup. The only drawback is that any misses are all you now.

You might want to lap the rings, although you want to go slow with the aluminum BKL rings. It's a small thing, but it improves repeatability.
- C.S. Lewis
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Post by mrkswords »

BCloninger wrote:
mrkswords wrote:I don't consider Eley target, cheap. It's the same ammo that I used in matches before swapping scopes.(always with consistent results).
Subsonic Eley Target, I presume? That seems like a silly question, but Eley has fooled me in the past with some of their naming. Regardless, a CZ 455 with a VXII, BKL rings, and Eley ammunition should be a sweet setup. The only drawback is that any misses are all you now.

You might want to lap the rings, although you want to go slow with the aluminum BKL rings. It's a small thing, but it improves repeatability.
Truer words have never been spoken (or in this case written). No excuses now.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If it shoots well at the close ranges, why would lapping the rings help?

Shoot groups at 60m and if it groups there and not at 100m, it's the ammo. If not, check all your screws on the scope. Make sure you are not at the upper limits of your scope. Yellow box isn't even close to the good stuff in spite of the cost of over $6 a box. Try some different brands - like Wolf, RWS or Lapua.
mrkswords
Unclassified Poster

Post by mrkswords »

Double checked all mounting hardware several times during trial. Same rifle, same ammo, same shooter was making five shot groups inside one square inch at 100 M from a rest before putting on the "new" scope. Gotta say the scope is the issue. No one will convince me that the quality of the Eley ammo that I was using will cause the grouping I got. Largest spread measured 8 1/2 inches within one five shot group.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Jerry G wrote:If it shoots well at the close ranges, why would lapping the rings help?

Shoot groups at 60m and if it groups there and not at 100m, it's the ammo. If not, check all your screws on the scope. Make sure you are not at the upper limits of your scope. Yellow box isn't even close to the good stuff in spite of the cost of over $6 a box. Try some different brands - like Wolf, RWS or Lapua.
Lapping the rings won't fix the 100m grouping problem, but it improves repeatability and makes sure nothing in the rings will mark the scope. For me, it's just part of getting the assembly process right. And yes, I even have a torque wrench that gets regular use.
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I'm with you on that torque wrench. I also use a scope leveling jig when I mount a scope.

I am at a loss with the scope problem. You still haven't said if it shoots when you dial back to turkeys or pigs.