10-12 X Scope recommendation......

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

10-12 X Scope recommendation......

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas anymore! (Thank you, George Burns.....). And as I age, I've dialed the scope further and further down. !0 or 12 power does me just right now; so I wonder, does anyone have any suggestions for a good but moderately priced scope in that range? Any suggestion appreciated......
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 10-12 X Scope recommendation......

Post by acorneau »

I would think almost all the normal favorites that are variable magnification would include that range (4-16X, 6.5-20X, etc.). Why not use one you already (probably) have and just dial it back?

Or is there some reason you are looking for a fixed magnification scope in the 10X to 12X ?
Allen Corneau
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

acorneau wrote:I would think almost all the normal favorites that are variable magnification would include that range (4-16X, 6.5-20X, etc.). Why not use one you already (probably) have and just dial it back?

Or is there some reason you are looking for a fixed magnification scope in the 10X to 12X ?
Yeah, I never shoot above that power anymore and I have to buy another scope..... hoping I might find something cheaper than a 6X24! :-)
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I'm unsure what you would consider "moderately priced", so I'll just pitch these out there anyway...

Weaver V-16 is about $300 to $350 new, maybe a bit less if used, but tracks well and is good glass.
Weaver 40/44 in 4-12X could be a decent option for sub-$200 range, but I don't have any personal experience with this particular scope, just going off the Weaver reputation.

Maybe someone else will have a good/better suggestion for you.

Good luck.
Allen Corneau
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I think Bob McAlice cornered the market on the 12X fixed power Leupold scopes since he puts them on all hundred of his 7mm-08 Remington "practice rifles" that he alternates through at the range, but you might find one out there yet. They're usually priced pretty reasonably when you can find them, too.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

:lol: That's kinda funny, Jason. But also somewhat true. I do have a dozen Leupold M8-12x's on 7-08 rifles. Matter of fact I used three of them yesterday at CRC. Six have both target knobs, three have only elevation knob and three with none. I bought a few new, the others are used purchased from various websites. Reticles are across the board with 1/8" dot, fine duplex and two purchased here a couple of years ago have 1/2 min dot. I like these big dots a lot. Used ones come in around $275.-$375. depending on knobs and condition. They are popular and sell fast if a good deal. I'm done buying more 12's, feel free to bid or buy. :D Don't forget....Leupold lifetime warranty, too.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I'm right in the middle of gun cleaning now. Here is a picture of an old "B" prefix SA BDL 700 that was a .243, now fitted with a SS 24" factory take off 7-08 barrel. Wears a Leupold 12x with 1/2 min dot, both knobs. Despite what Grandpa Jerry says bad mouthing Remingtons, :ymdevil: this FACTORY BARREL WOOD STOCK rifle shoots half minute all the way to rams. Less than $800.00 in this set up, ready for any match. :ymbringiton:

Here is an "A" prefix BDL that was a .22-250, same 12x 1/2 dot and same barrel treatment...ala polished Remington 7-08 FACTORY. Other is my 77 Ruger that was a 7x57 that got shot out, now fitted with a carbon Remington 7-08 FACTORY take off. Same 12X with duplex. Same super accuracy for both.

Hey Mel, buy a Leupold 12x with confidence my friend. 8) There is not much else to choose from suitable for silhouette in lower fixed power. Are you looking for SB or HP? Great scope for either. You may have to send it in for a reticle change.

Like the worlds most interesting man would say, " I don't always use a 12x scope, but when I do I use Leupold".

This one looks good, fair price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-12x-Fix ... 23594abd48

I have bought about five good used Leupolds from this guy....lfcrock...via ebay. He has a huge inventory of used rifle scopes at fair prices. Buy with confidence from him.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lfcrock/m.html? ... m=&_ipg=50

I have a couple from this source, too.
http://shootinginvestments.com/
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am only a lowly AA shooter but I really like my Leupold FX-3 12x40 with a 1/2 minute dot. They are about $600 new.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Thanks everyone..... appreciate the replies..... I have a Leupold 12X on a position rifle used only indoors (with a 50' adaptor), and a Leupold 6X18 on my 1712. I wanted a 12X for my high power gun.... I'll keep looking for another Leupold 12, but if I don't find one by February, I'll swap the 12X to my high power, and put a Vortex Crossfire on my indoor beast..... At my score range it isn't an earth-shaking event. Just wondering if there was a sleeper anywhere....
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »