Does anyone have experience with Nikon's Scope Rings?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Does anyone have experience with Nikon's Scope Rings?

Post by DavidABQ »

Does anyone have any experience with the new A-Series of scope rings from Nikon?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Does anyone have experience with Nikon's Scope Rings?

Post by DavidABQ »

**== I guess no one has any experience with Nikon 's new aluminum rings.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Sorry, no experience. I'm guessing most silhouette shooters tend to stay with their favorite brand.

Might get a few more responses over on RFC.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote:Sorry, no experience. I'm guessing most silhouette shooters tend to stay with their favorite brand.
Without randomly trying different scope rings how will they find a superior product?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Without keeping their equipment consistent and practicing with it, how will they perform consistently? :)
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jason wrote:Without keeping their equipment consistent and practicing with it, how will they perform consistently? :)
With intensive daily practice after every component change. Of course a detail journal describing both the pros and cons of each new product tested with a spreadsheet with scores so as to give quantitative feedback.

Of course the overall score should be recorded but also the individual animal count. With these values you can do what I do and graph the average match score, calculate the average and standard deviation for each animal plus the overall score. This gives me hard numbers to compare.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Must be nice to have that much time. If someone were that dedicated to the sport, I'm thinking that they'd be using rings from Morr Accuracy, Marvin Pearson, or something higher end and not messing around with rings not specifically designed with silhouette in mind.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jason wrote:Must be nice to have that much time. If someone were that dedicated to the sport, I'm thinking that they'd be using rings from Morr Accuracy, Marvin Pearson, or something higher end and not messing around with rings not specifically designed with silhouette in mind.
I wish I had that sort of time too!

I would love to order up a set of Morr Accuracy rings or a set of Kelby's but Kelby's does not do rings to fit Weaver bases. I know because I asked.

I would really like to get a set of titanium rings from Murphy Precision but they are too expensive for my pocketbook.

I have never heard of Marvin Pearson; I will have to do a search.

Thanks.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

BTW: I do record and track every shot I make in competition for statistical analysis. Averages and standard deviations are what I use.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I went out and bought a set of the Nikon A-Series scope rings and so far so good. The packaging the rings came in said, "Made in America" which makes me happy.

The fit and finish seem as well made as any other rings with nice sharp edges and when mounted without a scope they is no lip between the two ring halves.

The finish is a little on the shiny side for my tastes but it seems to be holding up well but to be honest I have not had them on the rifle for long.

They are Weaver base rings and as such fit my +25Moa rail perfectly. They are not as nice as my Warne rings, I wish I could use them but they put me too close to the weight limit for my tastes.

The rings themselves are well made but the hardware is cheesy and cheap looking compared to either my BKL or Warne steel rings.

Not a poor choice for rings costing less than $20.

**==
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

DavidABQ wrote:I went out and bought a set of the Nikon A-Series scope rings and so far so good. .....
Thanks for the info. Please update this as you have a chance to use them more.

Are you using them on a Smallbore or HP?

I got a set of the A-Series high rings yesterday. I don't have access to my 1" scope ring alignment bar so I can't comment on their dimensional accuracy. The long screw is not particularly smooth, could be either the threaded hole or the bolt.

Otherwise they seem ok.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The Nikon A-series of rings are certainly an economy set of rings, Talleys they are not but the disappointing part is that BKL makes a better product for a similar price point.

The Nikons are nice for their price but the threads are not as smooth more expensive rings.

I may have to invest in a synthetic stock because with my wood stock on my 1712 I am pushing the weight limit.

A new and heavier scope could push me over the limit.

Maybe, this scares me to say this :(( , Jerry is correct about the weight advantage a synthetic stock affords a shooter.
SteveD
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by SteveD »

For Smallbore a wood stock can be skeletonized. Something like this:

[img]
Anschutz%2054%20b.jpg
[/img]

For High Power it would probably be a risk that I would not recommend taking.

I am going to have a wood Anschutz stock skeletonized as pictured for Smallbore but for High Power I am looking at a McMillan Anschutz Silhouette. It weighs 2 lbs, 4 oz with a Decelerator pad.

I weighed the A-Series high rings at 1 oz each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.