How do you know Scope question.

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

How do you know Scope question.

Post by kd5zmg »

All,

I gave my father in-law a Bushnell Banner Dusk Till Dawn 6-18x50 AO scope for his CZ452 that I also gave to him. The first question I have is, this scope good enough for silhouette matches? Second, at what point on the road to greatness will this scope make a difference in the scores. I myself have not felt comfortable with it because of the ability to easily set the dope on it based on the turrets. The scope is not bad, I used to have it installed on a spring piston Air Rifle and it performed well on that, but that was on a rest or bench.

Should he move to a different scope?

Regards,
-Mark
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: How do you know Scope question.

Post by Doodaddy »

If the magnification is enough for him and the adjustments are reliable/repeatable (this is key), it can't hurt to use. There are more silhouette suited scopes that might translate to higher scores, but that can be addressed later on.

An easy test to get it on the bench and shoot groups on paper. 50 yards is a decent distance to do it. Shoot 5 shots, turn a full revolution up, shoot 5 shots, turn a revolution up, shoot 5 shots, turn a revolution up, etc etc, then start turning down shooting groups. 5 shots, revolution down, 5 shots, revolution down. Do this several times and make sure the POI matches the POA across all of the adjustments. If it can't track well, it won't do silhouette well.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Doodaddy wrote:If the magnification is enough for him and the adjustments are reliable/repeatable (this is key), it can't hurt to use. There are more silhouette suited scopes that might translate to higher scores, but that can be addressed later on.

An easy test to get it on the bench and shoot groups on paper. 50 yards is a decent distance to do it. Shoot 5 shots, turn a full revolution up, shoot 5 shots, turn a revolution up, shoot 5 shots, turn a revolution up, etc etc, then start turning down shooting groups. 5 shots, revolution down, 5 shots, revolution down. Do this several times and make sure the POI matches the POA across all of the adjustments. If it can't track well, it won't do silhouette well.
Thanks Doodaddy. That is what I was looking for. I will have to put it on the bench to make sure it is tracking well. I have a suspicion that this scope may not be. I will let him shoot a couple more matches to see how he does and if his scores increases.
-Mark
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

kd5zmg wrote:
Doodaddy wrote:If the magnification is enough for him and the adjustments are reliable/repeatable (this is key), it can't hurt to use. There are more silhouette suited scopes that might translate to higher scores, but that can be addressed later on.

Thanks Doodaddy. That is what I was looking for. I will have to put it on the bench to make sure it is tracking well. I have a suspicion that this scope may not be. I will let him shoot a couple more matches to see how he does and if his scores increases.
I have my suspicions that it won't either which is why I really emphasized that test. Scope is one of the areas that we're kind of limited in. There are several quality scopes out there that are reliably repeatable, but they're usually in the wrong magnification, weird reticle, or too dang heavy. It's why Leupold/Weaver/Sightron/Bushnell 4200 Elites encompass the vast majority of scopes seen. Probably in that order too.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
kd5zmg
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kd5zmg »

Doodaddy wrote:... It's why Leupold/Weaver/Sightron/Bushnell 4200 Elites encompass the vast majority of scopes seen. Probably in that order too.
and that is why my daughter and I are running Leupold's... I didn't used to be a believer in Leupold until I bought my first VX2 6-18. Now my daughter and I run Leupold's in our setup. Actually my 8 year old is now shooting with us and she is using a Leupold 3-9 for the CZ Scout she uses for Silhouette.

For sporter air rifle and field hunting use the Bushnell was fine. But for Silhouette I did not have any heartache letting it go.
-Mark