Spotting Scopes

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Spotting Scopes

Post by Jerry G »

When buying a spotting scope or binoculars, glass quality is much more important than power. A good quality spotting scope of around 25 to 30 x is as much power as you could ever use.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

You have a point, Jerry. It looks like I will be sending my new spotting scope out to be rebuilt.

Well, new to me that is. I picked up what appears to be a 1950s- 1960s Bausch Lomb spotting scope. It is in great shape externally but it needs a little tlc on the inside. It is a 15-60 zoom so it should do the job. Until I get it sent out and returned I can still use my Burris 15-45 spotting scope for now.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

My eye issues became worse last year and I could not see a .22 hole or a group at 100 meters at 25X on white paper. I'd have to walk back and forth. 2016 I did the same for sighting in and attended fewer matches.

Yesterday, I did some searching for a spotting scope that is usable, with having to wear glasses 24/7. I need a spotting scope with a generous eye relief w/o having juggle around at 45X with a small view or not at all. I found Leupold's SX-1, Ventana, 15-45X60, straight spotting scope, with spec eye relief 20.0mm at 15X and 21.5mm at 45X. Some reports said this scope works fine for those wearing glasses at 45X. Perfect.

I went shopping and found that Optics Planet had a very nice sale on their website for this SX-1. I went one step further and went to e-bay and found Optics Planet with advertised sale price of $200, same as their store. But, there was a, "Make Offer," box. I made an offer of $180.00 and a couple hours later, it was accepted. It will be shipped this coming week. I now have to shop for a table tripod and will do soon. (-|
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Get a big Kowa 25X with the long eye relief eyepiece. You will NEVER regret it. :-bd
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Get a big Kowa 25X with the long eye relief eyepiece. You will NEVER regret it. :-bd
Really Jerry, only one?

If you are going to spend someone else's money then do it properly.

Suggest they buy 2 of them and have a custom holder to hold them with one holding bracket adjustable for eye spacing.

That should cost a few grand.

:ymdevil: :ymdevil:
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I just got an add and Cabelas has a vortex Razor HD spotting scope for sale at $600 off. I think it is now 900 instead of 1500. Beautiful glass on that one. Worth looking at for anyone needing a scope.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I forgot to mention that my vision is 40/20 and need power at 77 and 100 meters to see .22 hole[s], just to do sporadic sighting in for my application and or confirm settings. The table top tripod I ordered, is Vanguards CX1 from Gander Mountain.

Eye surgery in my case at this time, is not recommended. I'm hanging in there to continue to enjoy the sport and help our new director with the NRA administrative functions.

Selecting a spotting scope for one's specific application is like selecting a scope for your rifle and discipline that works.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

OldRanger wrote:I just got an add and Cabelas has a vortex Razor HD spotting scope for sale at $600 off. I think it is now 900 instead of 1500. Beautiful glass on that one. Worth looking at for anyone needing a scope.
One on line spotting scope retailer recommended the Vortex Razor HD out of 3 other Mfgs for me to look at four days ago. Nice price
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It is the quality of the glass, not the power of the scope. Quality on anything does not come cheep. High power spotting scopes for a couple hundred won't hold a candle to a good quality 25 or 30 power scope.

Set 2 scopes, one 60x for around $150 side by side next to a 25x or 30x for around $600 and watch a fly walk around on the wall 100 yards away.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I got my $180.00 [Sale price, possible discontinue] Leupold SX-1, 15-45X60 out to the Silhouette range this past Monday. The QUALITY of the OPTICS at 45X, was very clear/sharp with using my best eye, seeing the .22LR paper holes at 100m. It told me, I didn't need a $500.00+ spotting scope for sighting in every so often. It was a keeper. I would have thought the optics came from Japan with assembly in China.

Yes, and with wearing strong eye glasses, the eye relief on this spotting scope is exceptional at 45X with very clear optics!