mil dot scopes with rimfire

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

mil dot scopes with rimfire

Post by p14shooter »

Ok. So, I have been playing on and off the last couple years with a set of swingers that I bought. I am hoping to play a bit more serious this summer and perhaps get some action going on at my club. I had the brainstorm a bit ago of wondering if my mildot scope could work at the distances without having to do any adjustments. Is this even a remote possibility? I was out to the range tonight and it seemed promising from 40-60m but that is all I did. Then I got the other bright idea of asking you. Why waste time and ammo on something that others have tried in the past. I am just using a cheap bushnell 6-9x32 cross hair right now.

I have learned recently by reading here that most all are using a dot. So I guess that is something that I will have to get. Seems of course to individual preference what size. What are you recommending for brand to a newbie, or just get one and go.

I also learned to "watch the spot, not the dot". That is going to take some getting used to. I am a bullseye shooter and doing that seems counter intuitive.

I will probably get a concussion this year trying to figure things out.
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

Re: mil dot scopes with rimfire

Post by Hawkeye7br »

I have only recently started shooting rifle silhouette, but I've shot a lot of handgun silhouette with unlimited standing guns. I have always used a duplex reticle, mostly because it was common and served my purpose. The dot obviously works for a lot of folks.

If you're trying to "watch the spot, not the dot", it sounds pretty complicated to use a mil-dot reticle. I would think there would be too much going on with counting dots, target, moving reticle across target, trigger squeeze.

Just my .02
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I think using a mil dot reticle is too complex for our game. Theoretically you could do it, but its easier to just adjust the scope and always aim for the center dot. The 1/2 minute dot reticle in a leupold fx3-25 or 6.5-20x40 efr is perfect IMO.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

If you want to keep it simple keep shooting your duplex reticle, but zero at turkeys. Hold at the foot of the chicken, the belly of the pig, and the top of the back for the ram. Works with SV ammo. This is technique told to me by one of the founders of the sport many years ago.

I can't use a regular duplex reticle anymore because of my eyes, but a heavy duplex or German No. 4 might work with this technique. I gave up and use the same Leupold and dot everybody else does, but I miss having a solid aiming point like the top of the rams back.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The 3.6 minuet mil dot spacing doesn't seem to match the 0, 2, 4, 8 minuet changes for the animals. It would be tough to try to count dots and 1/2 dots while you are shooting off-hand. The more stuff you have to look at while you are shooting the worse you will shoot. Keep it simple. KISS!!!!
p14shooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by p14shooter »

thanks for the help. I like sqhunter of the hold points. I guess my main reason for thinking mil dot was partly due to my idea of shooting at one distance for one shot, another for the second and so on. I was only thinking this way as part of a fun shoot as a lot of people around me do not seem to like the idea of single range shooting. Then again though, they have never shot silhouette before.

I will keep you posted if I get things up and running. I am about to post in another thread to try and get some more information, and keep posts pertinent.

Thanks
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

JerryG, What you mentioned about the 0,2,4,8 minute was interesting. In my research I hadn't noticed that mentioned anywhere. Makes sense though when you look at it on a chart.

Jeff
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

those are the setting I use with both of my SB rifles. HP is 0, 2, 5, 8 1/2

Setting will vary with different scope heights in SB and your loads for HP. The 0, 2, 4, 8 will get just about everyone somewhere on the animal assuming you are using a center hold.