Night Force BR 8-32 by 56 CH reticle - Suitable for Silhouette??

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
WADamo
Unclassified Poster

Night Force BR 8-32 by 56 CH reticle - Suitable for Silhouette??

Post by WADamo »

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys think about using a Nightforce Benchrest scope 8-32 power for Centrefire rifle Silhouette?
I'm not fussed about the weight/size

I only have experience using a fine duplex reticle. The Nightforce BR comes with a CH reticle basically fine cross hair with a 0.2 moa dot.

Do you think this will be too small of a dot?

Cheers

Damo
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Night Force BR 8-32 by 56 CH reticle - Suitable for Silhouette??

Post by ShootingStar »

WADamo,
WELCOME to SteelChickens and the Silhouette community! :ymhug:

Man, that is a NICE Looking Scope!
If you have it already - use it! If it works well for you, then start climbing the classes with it!

The rest of my opinion - remember 2 things: 1) You asked what we thought about using it, and 2) You paid nothing, so it may be worth every penny!
If you have not bought it. . . DON'T!
The dot will likely be too small to be seen in the other items in the picture - although it is illuminated. Here's why we tend to prefer Dots as aiming points: A dot allows the shooter to focus on the "spot" on the animal you wish to hit (i.e. blade of grass stuck to it, dirt stuck to it, old bullet mark - whatever), then as the dot comes floating/flying by we have ONE item to send the signal to fire! With even just crosshairs, you will subconsiously be looking at both the horizontal AND vertical lines - even though you and I both know its where they meet that the magic happens! Similarly, mil dots and other aiming/ranging elements make the scope picture too noisy. Don't forget, no matter how good you get, the picture in the scope is ALWAYS moving! Even Cath Winstead-Severin moves (just not that much)!!! The rest of us mere mortals, we move MORE!

If you are searching for a scope with decent power so that you can move up in power - talk to "Pete" on this board and get a Leupold scope from him. Listen to his suggestions!
OR
Go over to Rimfirecentral dot com, someone is selling a Leupold 6.5 x 20 efr scope (they say it is new/unused and in the box) for just over $600. You can use the other $600-$800 you save on the nightforce scope on ammo to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! THAT will get you more hits than ANY scope you mount!!!

Good Luck, Good Shooting and welcome to the addiction!
ShootingStar
Greg
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

That scope may be great for a heavy benchrest gun. It's not suitable for silhouette, where we have lower weight limits and shoot standing. It's way too heavy and the reticle isn't suitable for silhouette for the reasons mentioned above.
WADamo
Unclassified Poster

Post by WADamo »

Thanks welcome and the good advice. :-bd

I will steer clear of the night force for now.

I have a Vari X III EFR 6.5-20 on my Annie and was hoping for something similar on my 308W with a bit more power just in case I want to shoot a Fly shoot (500m). I currently have a 14 power scope on it.

Unfortunately I'm in Western Aus so getting scopes in from overseas can be problematic sometimes, but I'm willing to chat to "Pete" if someone can point me I the right direction?

There is a used premier boost Leupold Vari X III boosted to 18-40 power with mildot reticule available as well however I'm concerned about he Lifetime warranty void as Premier is no longer in business, and I'm not sure if the mildot will help.

Cheers

Damo
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

WADamo
Leupold makes a good product. When Premier boosted the scopes, there was (initially) a great relationship between Leupold and Premier. That ended several years ago. If, for some reason, your boosted Leupold scope needed warranty repair (or any Leupold repair for that matter), Leupold would indeed remove the boost and return the scope back to "factory specs." All that being said, I would not be overly concerned with a Premier Boosted scope. In fact, I have one myself!
BUT. . .
As I said before "busy" reticles may not help in our sport very much. The mildot style scope is pretty busy AND it's rare that the additional aiming points line up exactly with out targets/ranges - which negates any advantage they provide in other circumstances!

To find Pete on this site, I would use the "Private Messages" section at the top and his name is Pete (he's the only one with that name). Send him a message about what you want, say a FX3 25x Silhouette and he'll take it from there. He can tell you about shipping to the other side of the world.

Good Luck
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

There is a company, Optical Services Co, in New Mexico that will work on your bumped Leupold and not remove the bump.