50ft focus adapter for a side focus Leupold?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

50ft focus adapter for a side focus Leupold?

Post by shooterer »

Looking to get a Leupold V3-I 4.5 x 14 x 40 to focus down to 75' for a practice/loaner rifle to be used at a indoor range this winter.

I'm waiting for Leupold to get back to me, but I thought maybe it has been discussed here before.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 50ft focus adapter for a side focus Leupold?

Post by acorneau »

If your scope bottoms out at ~40 yards/meters then adding the 50' adapter will not get you to 75' (25 yards). I tried that but the focus range was maxed out to about 55 feet for my scope.
Allen Corneau
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Screw 2 of them together and it will get you down.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Jerry G wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 am Screw 2 of them together and it will get you down.
I don't think it's a matter of one not going down far enough but going too far to get back up to 25 yards.
Allen Corneau
jbzeus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jbzeus »

I've used two in the past to get to shorter focus distances.

A couple of things to be aware of. There are two different adapters. I think 2004 was the cutoff year so depending when your scope was made will determine which one you need. Also, I think the threads are different on the front and back of the new one. You need an old one to screw in the new one if doubling.

Jeff
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Leupold told me 'nope", nothing they sell will not work with side focus only AO models.

They recommended buying a new EFR scope.

Anyone know of an after market cap with a lens that might work?

"James,
Unfortunately we cannot go down to that minimum distance on fixed parallax scope. It would be not recommended also. If you tried going back to longer distances it could cause out of focus issues. I would recommend looking at one of our AO adjustable scopes for the application your wanting. The two models would be

VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm EFR CDS Target 170885
VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33 175075

I hope you have a nice day,
Zachary"
Last edited by shooterer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

That is BS..... I have a non EFR scope and I use 2 adaptors on my air rifle for 10M.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

shooterer wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am Leupold told me 'nope", nothing they sell will not work with side focus only AO models.

They recommended buying a new EFR scope.

Anyone know of an after market cap with a lens that might work?

"James,
Unfortunately we cannot go down to that minimum distance on fixed parallax scope. It would be not recommended also. If you tried going back to longer distances it could cause out of focus issues. I would recommend looking at one of our AO adjustable scopes for the application your wanting. The two models would be

VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm EFR CDS Target 170885
VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33 175075

I hope you have a nice day,
Zachary"
Looks like there is a communication issue. There are two VX-3i 4.5-24x40 scopes, a 30mm tube with side focus and a 1inch tube with fixed parallax. Whoever you emailed at Leupold thinks you have the fixed parallax scope, and I would agree with them, no way to make it focus at a reasonable price.

If you have the 30mm side focus one, buy a 50' adapter and out it on. It will bring the focus in, but maybe not hit your required minimum distance.

I have a color adapter on my fx3-25, and it changes parallax. I have 1 set of settings with the filter on, and 1 without for each animal.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

Thauglor,
You were right, I miscommunicated my item to them. They told me a new model adaptor would fit on the scope, but they never did any testing with adapters on a side focus unit to be able to tell me what it would focus down to.

Any one have one for sale?